Talk

Advanced search

Birdcage

(10 Posts)
nannycook Tue 18-Feb-14 21:46:39

Has anyone made one of these and if they have can I be cheeky and ask how much did they charge, I have one to make next week and don't have a clue how much to charge. Tia

nannycook Wed 19-Feb-14 07:52:10

Anyone???? Pleeeeeeze.

MikeLitoris Wed 19-Feb-14 15:19:40

Never made one sorry.

Just add up your ingredients and add on whatever you think your time is worth per hour.

So if ingredients are £15 and it takes 5 hours @£10 per hour charge £65. Personally I wouldn't charge for baking or drying times but I know bakers that do.

What size is it going to be?

nannycook Wed 19-Feb-14 21:09:14

Hi Mike, its a difficult one to judge, its a 6 inch base but obviously tall using 2 round sponges then the hemispherical tin for the top, so in all about 8 inches. No problem though I'll post a photo next Wed when its finished.

MikeLitoris Wed 19-Feb-14 21:11:01

I've wanted to rry one for a while but its a lot of work to do it just for fun.

I might get some cake dummies and have a go.

blueberryboybait Sat 22-Feb-14 20:45:53

OOh I want to make one if these too, I worry about the fondant tearing. I may have to copy Mike and cake dummy it!

MikeLitoris Sat 22-Feb-14 21:04:35

I think the trick is to wrap the fondant around the sides and then ice the dome separately. The join is covered by the piping I think.

I might try and pick up some dummies tomorrow.

nannycook Sat 22-Feb-14 22:48:30

Well I'm trying to put a photo on of my owl I made last Sunday but it wont let me yet, that was pretty tall but I know the birdcage is about 8 inches tall, what I used which was what my cake Dec shop said to do was to add some satin ice/lowercase to the sugarpaste to stop it tearing, so did that and it worked out perfectly, soon as I can put my owl on you'll see for yourself.

nannycook Sun 23-Feb-14 07:29:31

Flowerpaste I meant.

nannycook Wed 26-Feb-14 13:13:52

Blueberry, made my birdcage, quite pleased, will try and upload a photo ASAP for you to see.wasn't too bad to make but I will learn from it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: