Advanced search

Does anyone have a battenburg cake tin I could borrow please

(18 Posts)
lardydahdydah Thu 14-Nov-13 10:51:33

I want to make dd's birthday cake a battenburg but don't have a tin.


mistlethrush Thu 14-Nov-13 10:52:49

You just need a normal square or rectangular tin.

ClaimedByMe Thu 14-Nov-13 10:56:13

Don't you just make rectangular/square cakes, cut them then stick them in place with jam?

lardydahdydah Thu 14-Nov-13 10:58:08

I tried that, but there was a huge lump un the middle. I understand this is minimised using a sectioned cake tin

ouryve Thu 14-Nov-13 10:58:39

Is a battenburg cake tin a bit like tartan thread? hmm

ouryve Thu 14-Nov-13 10:59:31

Just trim the lump off. Cook's perks, innit?

hermioneweasley Thu 14-Nov-13 11:00:33

There is such a thing as a cake tin, but perfectly possible to make and cut

ArbitraryUsername Thu 14-Nov-13 11:01:58

I don't understand how you ended up with a huge lump in the middle. Surely you just end up with cubes of cake in different colours and have to assemble them.

You can buy specific tins on amazon, but they don't look like they'd be a massive improvement over cutting a cake made in a square tin into cubes.

ClaimedByMe Thu 14-Nov-13 11:02:01

I googled, you can get a Battenberg cake tin shock you do learn something new everyday!!

ArbitraryUsername Thu 14-Nov-13 11:02:42

If it rose too quickly in the middle, turn the oven temp down and cook it more slowly.

lardydahdydah Thu 14-Nov-13 13:36:14

When i make a cake in a square tin the middle has a hump like a tortoise and the corners are crisp and burned blush

I thought the specific tin would help even out the slices iyswim

ArbitraryUsername Thu 14-Nov-13 13:44:51

The peak in the middle (especially if it's cracked) will be because the oven was too hot or you used too much baking powder. The oven being too hot will cause the burnt bits at the side.

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 14-Nov-13 16:52:00

This one.

EdieBlizzard Thu 14-Nov-13 16:54:28

Well you learn something new every day - I shall stick to cutting and assembling though...

Blatherskite Thu 14-Nov-13 17:00:42

It'd be cheaper to use a square tin and get a cake leveller to take the hump off.

At least you can then use the leveller for levelling and dividing round cakes too so it's multi purpose.

Scaredycat3000 Thu 14-Nov-13 17:04:50

How odd, I have a battenburg cake tin, I've never used it in over 15 years. I got it from a car boot, it looks exactly like the one Lakeland sell. One day I will use it, honest. What a pointless post from me, sorry, nothing to add, as you were.

mindlessmama Thu 14-Nov-13 22:31:45

I just use a square tin with a makeshift tin foil wall down the middle...

patchworkchick Tue 26-Nov-13 15:01:42

You can make one using an oblong tin and easiest way is with lakeland foil and baking parchment (think sainsburys do a version). Section the tin DIY style and it works brilliantly. If the cake rises uneavenly, just trim to shape.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now