Talk

Advanced search

decorating novice! Help.

(5 Posts)
MultipleMama Thu 16-May-13 14:57:14

I'm a pretty good baker and do it quite often but melted chocolate, icing and buttercream is as far as my decorating goes.

I turn 12 weeks with twins on Tuesday and I've decided to break the "twin" news to my DF by cake.

I'm thinking of making a banana and blueberry (so dts can have some) "two peas in a pod" cake. However, I have no clue whatsoever what kind icing I need. Fondant, sugar, royal etc. It's all confusing.

I'd like to make something like the image but the banner would say "another two peas in a pod", and I'd like the faces in the pod on top to look more like this.

What kind of icing would I need? Any tips and advice?

LeaveTheBastid Thu 16-May-13 16:04:17

That's so cute shock

You'll need fondant for that. Thin layer of buttercream over the cakes to seal the crumbs and give a smooth finish and then top with fondant rolled out about 1/4 inch thick. The rest of the decoration is also fondant just different colours. The writing will be done with a thick enough to hold shape when piped Royal icing.

Congratulations on the twins! smile

MultipleMama Thu 16-May-13 16:42:46

Thank you, think I'll practice my rolling before making it.

How do I make it not crinkly and bumpy, do I smooth it all downwards?

Imnotaslimjim Fri 17-May-13 12:02:15

To get it smooth, do a search on youtube for "crumbcoating a cake" there is lots on there to follow

To prevent the creases and wrinkles, smooth the top, then pull out each fold or pleat and smooth it down. Work firmly and quickly and you'll find when you get to the end that it just sits smooth. Good luck!

MultipleMama Fri 24-May-13 10:10:15

Cake turned out brilliantly - thank you for the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now