Talk

Advanced search

Victoria sandwich mix too thick, why?

(11 Posts)
TripTheLightFanjotastic Wed 08-May-13 15:42:02

I've just made a birthday cake, and the cake mix seemed like it was thick enough before I'd even put the flour in. It was a 6,6,6, 3 eggs cake, I added another egg and a quite a big splash of milk, so fingers crossed it comes out ok! But thinking about it most of the cakes that I've made recently have had quite thick mixture - why is this?

I have a kenwood, and use it to cream butter/sugar and add the beaten eggs one at a time (usually large eggs) and then I'll hand fold in the flour if that helps....

Tee2072 Wed 08-May-13 16:10:36

I have been told that my cakes are too thick because I don't beat the butter and sugar enough.

But I don't know if that could be your reason if you're using a Kenwood. envy

iseenodust Wed 08-May-13 16:10:47

I use the same quantities as you usually. Often Stork not butter if that makes a difference? Maybe the eggs were not large enough? If I'm unsure of the texture sometimes I chuck in 1/2 teaspn of baking powder to help it on its way!

SconeInSixtySeconds Wed 08-May-13 16:13:08

Was the butter at room temp?

TunipTheVegedude Wed 08-May-13 16:14:45

butter too cold?
not enough milk? What seems like a big splash might not be as big as it looks.

TripTheLightFanjotastic Wed 08-May-13 16:16:28

Sometimes, but I made sure today, and I beat it ages till light and fluffy - tis a birthday cake after all smile

SconeInSixtySeconds Wed 08-May-13 16:18:43

Could be as simple as the flour being more absorbent than normal, each batch is slightly different and some need more fluid to reach the same state of ooziness.

neolara Wed 08-May-13 16:21:37

Scales gone wrong? Small eggs?

TripTheLightFanjotastic Wed 08-May-13 16:22:12

I thought about the flour, but it was definitely still too thick after I added the eggs. Does using stork make a difference?

starfishmummy Wed 08-May-13 17:12:42

The 6,6,6 is based on your eggs weighing 2 ounces each. Maybe your eggs were a bit smaller?
I have a set of balance scales and I put my eggs where the weights go means I don't have to ransack the kitchen wondering where the weights are and weigh the other ingredients against those, which means if the eggs are larger or smaller, the other things are in proportion.

TripTheLightFanjotastic Wed 08-May-13 17:57:34

Thanks starfishmummy, I have scales that do that too, so I'll try next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now