Advanced search

What's t he English equivalent to these American sweets for cake decoration.

(10 Posts)
fuckwittery Fri 12-Apr-13 19:13:00

Dd wants a pretty butterfly cake like this or this or
The glittery wings in the second and third have been made with taffy or rolled out gum drops? I don't think taffy is available in the uk, I'm wondering about rolling out something like fruit pastilles (think is gum drops in uk?) but surely too thick and tough to roll? Are there any alternatives that any kind cake makers can suggest? Or any other way of getting the glitter effect?

The first one is gel and glitter sugar but there is no way I'm going to be able to keep it within the outlines like in the first pic and I suspect photoshopped cake!!

noblegiraffe Fri 12-Apr-13 19:16:58

Jelly tots?

PommePoire Fri 12-Apr-13 19:25:41

Pretty! You could use sanding sugar like these ones. Sainsburys and Asda both have pink and white Doctor Oetker sanding sugar, in a little drum along with other sprinkles and stuff.

YouYoniLiveTwice Fri 12-Apr-13 19:26:47

Could you not smash up boiled sweets into really small pieces?

Or fruit gums?

fuckwittery Fri 12-Apr-13 19:52:53

Jelly tots might be softer than fruit pastilles, will give that a try!
I'm sure I've seen a recipe a bit like this using boiled sweets, for a pretty gingerbread house I think.
But not sure how I'd get the sanding sugar or crushed boiled sweets to sit in a neat pattern on top of frosting (sorry, that's another American term isn't it, I've been looking at too many American sites!) without making a big mess! I'm not a very neat and tidy cake maker.

cookielove Fri 12-Apr-13 20:09:03

Could you do a outline using a gel icing tube (do you know what I mean) and then fill it with the sand or its equivalent smile

fuckwittery Fri 12-Apr-13 22:19:20

I am sure that's going to be messy and the glitter will end up all over the cake, but I'm off to hobby craft tomorrow and they have 3 for 2 on gel tubes and glitter so I may go for it! Will post a pic on here when I've made it. Praying I can persuade the toddler to have a rare daytime nap on Sunday so I can make it in peace, meanwhile will have to bribe dd1 with unlimited DS use so she doesn't want to help and ruin her own cake.

Mominatrix Sun 14-Apr-13 20:42:43

Not sure what the UK name for gum drops are, but I have definitely seen them in shops and Waitrose sell them in their baking section. Taffy is definitely something I have not seen here - it is a dentist's worst nightmare and is like a very sticky hard flavoured and coloured caramel. To replace the god-awful taffy, I'd use the decorating sugar- also seen in the Waitrose cake decorating section.

WallyBantersYoniBox Sun 14-Apr-13 20:45:03

Taffy sweets are Starburst fruity chews or Fruitella in the UK.

Slainte Sat 20-Apr-13 22:35:52

How was the cake OP?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: