Talk

Advanced search

How long in advance can I make a cake?

(3 Posts)
Marne Thu 04-Apr-13 08:05:02

Hi, I make cakes from home ( small business) but havn't been doing it very long. I usually make my cakes the day before they go out or 2 days before. This week I need to make a cake for Sunday morning but I don't want my whole weekend took up so was thinking of making the sponge today and icing tomorrow, I also have another order which I can do Friday and finish sat morning ( as its cupcakes and better cream). Do you think it will keep ok for Sunday?

lljkk Thu 04-Apr-13 16:29:07

Mine wouldn't keep that well. And butter icing especially not unless refridgerated. I wouldn't make the cake any earlier than Sat early afternoon.

TakingTheStairs Thu 04-Apr-13 16:32:54

Cakes that are made with oil instead of butter tend to last longer in my experience. I have made cakes on a Wednesday for a Saturday, and fondant iced them and they were perfect. However fondant icing does seem to "seal" the cake to keep it fresher. You can also make a sponge, wait until it's perfectly cool then wrap it well in cling film & freeze it (with no icing) This might help? And ice it later (when it's fully defrosted)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now