Talk

Advanced search

Portable pudding for 10....help!

(12 Posts)
Yamyoid Mon 01-Apr-13 20:44:42

We're going on a family holiday next week and I've been asked to bring pudding for the first night. It needs to be enough for 10 (mostly adults) but also a fussy child.
Something quick to prepare and will survive a 3 hour journey.
Any ideas? I'd be very grateful smile

BreasticlesNTesticles Mon 01-Apr-13 20:47:55

Eton mess. I always suggest this which may give you a hint as to my baking abilities. And you can tke all components seperately and make it there is 10 mins if need be.

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 01-Apr-13 20:54:16

Brownies, berries and (squirty?) cream?
A cake? Un-iced, sturdy - like a banana cake, apple cake or choc loaf?
Sticky toffee pudding - make sauce in advance and transport separately in jar/tupperware?

Finally, nary a food thread goes by without me suggesting a pav. Make the pav in advance, wrap in cling, then nestle it in a box with some tea towels. Take separately, cut up fruit and whipped cream. Give the cream a very quick re-whip before you splodge it all together.

FishfingersAreOK Mon 01-Apr-13 20:54:58

Take some peach schnapps or Pimms too - just a tablespoon or two. Same of strawberry jam. Mush half the strawberries into/with the jam/alcohol it before you assemble it (You could even mush/mix the strawberry/jam/pimms stuff before you travel,. Ripple the mush through the cream and broken meringue. Takes Eton Mess to a whole new level.

PhyllisDoris Mon 01-Apr-13 20:56:20

Bakewell tart. Easy, and transportable.

Yamyoid Mon 01-Apr-13 21:03:49

Mmmmm. Pavlova and Eton Mess sound good. Would have to take whisk but that's ok I guess. Eton Mess would be really easy too.
Excellent smile thanks

LapinDeBois Mon 01-Apr-13 21:27:51

I made a really nice pudding this weekend which would have served 10. Basically, you make a chocolate sponge traybake, and then make a salted caramel sauce to tip over it (just sugar, salted butter and cream - takes less than five mins to make). Transport cake in tin and rewarm when you get there; weigh sauce ingredients before you go, then just heat up together in a pan. Easy, and everyone raved about it. I can post the recipe if you like.

yellowhousewithareddoor Mon 01-Apr-13 21:31:09

Ooh that sounds yum.

Yamyoid Mon 01-Apr-13 21:43:10

Yes please Lapin if you don't mind.

LapinDeBois Mon 01-Apr-13 21:58:30

Dammit, can't find on net. Ok, here goes:

Ingredients for cake:

225g soft unsalted butter
225g golden granulated sugar, plus 2 tbsp
3 medium eggs
150ml milk
175g self raising flour
50g cocoa
1.5 tsp baking powder

Ingredients for sauce:

100g dark muscovado sugar
100g salted butter
150ml double cream

Tin: a 30x23cm baking tin, 4cm deep, buttered (ie something like a swiss roll tin)

Method:

Preheat oven to 190 or 175 fan. Cream together the butter and the 225g sugar. Beat the eggs in one at a time. Beat in milk (don't worry if it curdles). Sift together the flour, cocoa and baking powder, then fold in. Tip into baking tin and smooth surface. Scatter over the 2 tbsp sugar. Bake 30 mins until skewer comes out clean. Cool in tin. To make sauce, heat sugar, butter and cream together in a pan until smooth. Serve cake cut in squares with sauce spooned over.

That's it. It would also be v nice with a dollop of vanilla ice cream, but not v easy to transport! It says serves 8 generously; I reckon 8-12. For that many people, I might increase the sauce quantities slightly. For your fussy eater, you could serve it plain without sauce. Incidentally, it's an Annie Bell recipe.

LapinDeBois Mon 01-Apr-13 22:17:26

Incidentally you can follow the same idea with sticky toffee pudding. My MIL always makes these from Delia. You can make the puddings in advance, and then warm them up and make the sauce when you get there. Delia tips the sauce over and grills them, but that's a bit of a faff - MIL always just warms the puddings up dry in an oven, then serves the sauce separately in a jug.

In fact, sponge of any sort is a good bet, because it travels well. How about a steamed pudding, like a syrup sponge? If you've got a microwave where you're going, you can reheat it in a few minutes. And if you make a big 2 pint one, it should just about feed 10.

Yamyoid Tue 02-Apr-13 01:01:26

Wow thanks very much Lapin, looks delicious. Perhaps the weather is more warm sponge than cold meringue sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now