Talk

Advanced search

Can I use marscapone cheese for cream cheese icing?

(9 Posts)
Doshusallie Sun 31-Mar-13 15:58:35

Have two leftover tubs....

parched Sun 31-Mar-13 16:09:58

Yes - Jamie Oliver uses it mixed with icing sugar to sweeten and harden a bit in one of his books - sorry can't remember which, but it's a recipe for carrot cake.

wildfig Wed 03-Apr-13 12:29:14

Do not, whatever you do, allow yourself to develop a taste for mascarpone cream with a bit of icing sugar stirred into it as a sneaky 'fridge pudding' habit. blush

It makes a really nice cake filling, especially with something quite sharp to cut through the creaminess, like good lemon curd, or some passionfruit pulp scattered over the top.

sapphirestar Wed 03-Apr-13 15:15:31

Yes but only if you save some for me!

MaureenMLove Wed 03-Apr-13 18:29:41

Not sure if you've already used it, but I make the most amazing cheese cake, which is so quick and so simple and everyone loves it!

2 tubs of marscapone
1 lemon OR 2 limes
4 oz icing sugar
1 packet of ginger nut biscuits and 3 oz butter

Make biscuit crumb base, with melted butter
mix up marscapone, juice and zest of fruit and icing sugar
Bung on top of chilled base.

Job done and bloody delicious!

MrsGrowbag Fri 05-Apr-13 20:16:15

MaureenMLove, that is my failsafe cheesecake recipe which I've been using for years- 5 mins to make and absolutely delicious. Prefer the lime version to the lemon, but both are yummy.

MaureenMLove Fri 05-Apr-13 21:00:12

Yes, I like the lime one best. I've done it with strawberries too, which looked really nice and from the bit I tasted was good. Didn't get much though as I had a bit of an accident when I made it.

I was a loooong way into a party that we were hosting and let's just say I'd had a small sherry or two! I took it out of the fridge and dropped it on the floor! grin

lightrain Fri 05-Apr-13 21:04:18

Marscapone icing isn't as cheesey as actual cream cheese icing, but still delicious. What cake is it? Could you add some lemon juice and zest as well as icing sugar, to sharpen it a bit?

It's gorgeous as a filling, either with lemon curd (as pp said) or in a chocolate cake with raspberry or cherry jam.

lightrain Fri 05-Apr-13 21:04:53

Oops, bet you made the cake a few days ago! Ignore me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now