Talk

Advanced search

please help me with quantities.

(4 Posts)
pregnantpause Wed 20-Feb-13 11:35:55

Hello,

I new to baking, in fact this will be the third cake I have ever baked. It is a rasberry and white chocolate cake made with 200g butter, flour as caster sugar, 100g white chocolate, 4 eggs.

The problem I have is that it calls for 20cm tins and I only have 25cm tins. I have no idea how to mulitpy the ingredients to avoid making pancakes.
can anyone help? Thanks

rootypig Wed 20-Feb-13 11:41:00

everything should stay in the same proportions, and given you can hardly use half an egg, I would make a five egg recipe and scale everything else up by 25%. the size of the tin will also slightly affect cooking time - add a few minutes.

Fwiw I always bake sponge with stork, not butter, it's less temperamental, and lighter. and cheaper!

mrsvilliers Wed 20-Feb-13 18:15:27

I'd buy a 20cm tin (sorry!). If you're planning on baking more in the future it will come in handy. 25cm is huge! Cake sounds delicious though, good luck!

pregnantpause Wed 20-Feb-13 18:50:01

It does seem big, somehow I have two thoughgrin . Realised h had eaten the chocolate anyway so will re try tomorrow after a pop to the shop.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: