Best place to buy food colouring paste/ stuff?

(11 Posts)
motherofvikings Fri 08-Feb-13 14:10:59

I've had enough of bottles of traditional food colouring that spill and stain the cupboard.

I tried a dr oetker gel colour from the supermarket. It was pants! V pathetic colour and used it all up! shock

I used some on a cake course that came in a pot, and you only needed a teeny tiny amount to get a vivid colour. What am I thinking of?
And where can I get it?

TIA! smile

Greywacke Fri 08-Feb-13 14:36:16

Do you mean the powders? I think hobby craft sell them.

motherofvikings Fri 08-Feb-13 15:04:39

No it was a goopy, liquid that you dipped a cocktail stick in to get a tiny blob of it out.
Will look in hobbycraft but they're often v expensive.

Thanks anyway! smile

GrandPoohBah Fri 08-Feb-13 15:07:02

Gels. My local Waitrose (central Croydon if you're anywhere nearby!) have a great selection of colours, I was really impressed when I spotted them!

jennimoo Sun 10-Feb-13 08:19:02

I think hobbycraft do sell the gels, otherwise google for your local cake decorating shops. If you're buying a few colours then buying online would be cost effective.

Theicingontop Sun 10-Feb-13 10:38:10

Are you thinking of Sugarflair pastes?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANY-6-SUGARFLAIR-PASTE-FOOD-COLOURING-ICING-COLOUR-/280578366608?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&hash=item4153c61c90

bacon Sun 10-Feb-13 12:04:50

You must have a kitchen shop close by? Try In-shops etc. My small craft shop has sunflair gels but agree you can get them on-line.

Keep them in old sweet tins/tupperware (wilko) so if they tip its wont make a mess but gels dont spill.

Loads of cake shops on-line selling most things you need but sometimes I'd rather by local and the endless postage costs doesnt make it cheaper.

OneHandFlapping Sun 10-Feb-13 12:06:34

There are suppliers of all things cake on Amazon. I've bought edible glitter from there.

Fredstheteds Sun 10-Feb-13 15:29:12

Amazon, Wilton colouring 6 bottles for £20. Lasts me a year at school with all classes using it.

I use sugar flair pastes and they are brilliant. Use a cocktail stick or a piece of dry spaghetti to get a bit out.

Look online for a cake supplies shop near you and if none then order online.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 11-Feb-13 10:29:28

I've found these to be the cheapest seller online http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sugarflair-Food-Colouring-Paste-Gel-Colours-Pick-1-from-30-Spectral-Tartrinil-/290702432486?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&var=&hash=item43af3718e6

And while it says they send 2nd class, I've never known them take more than 2 days to get good out to me, and I use them a lot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now