May I share with you this recipe for "Red Wine Chocolate Cake"?

(7 Posts)
HoHoHopeForTheBest Mon 24-Dec-12 13:51:35

My (german) MIL makes it around this time every year, and it is somehow both festive, yet not too much, and gorgeous with a cup of tea/coffee/glass of wine smile

It also has the advantage of being absolutely fail-safe and really, really easy!

250 g butter
250 g sugar
250 g flour, mixed with 1 sachet baking powder (or use sr flour (which is not available in germany, but I'm sure would work)
4 eggs
125 ml red wine (my MIL infuses it with mulled wine spices to make it more Christmassy)
1 sachet vanilla sugar (or 1 tsp vanilla essence)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp cocoa (the good stuff - unsweetened cocoa powder)

Mix everything together in mixer (I did it butter + sugar first, then eggs, then the rest, but my MIL says she just bungs everything into the mixer and blitzes it). Mix until it is a smooth and creamy batter.
Pour into greased cake tin (she does it in either a loaf tin or the round one with a hole in the middle), and bake at 160°C for 1 hour.
Skewer stuck in should come out clean when it's done.

That's it! I know it sounds very plain, but it's really light, satisfyingly chocolatey, yet moist because of the red wine, and keeps well. We've had it with strawberry icecream as a dessert, but would also be good with cream (or indeed is lovely on its own too).

(Also - you can do it with red grape juice if you want to do a non-alcoholic version, it's still nice)

MyCatHasStaff Tue 25-Dec-12 01:16:56

Thank you - that sounds fab grin

Sunnywithachanceofjinglebells Tue 25-Dec-12 02:10:30

That sounds gorgeous - thank you smile

NatashaBee Tue 25-Dec-12 02:11:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Imnotaslimjim Fri 04-Jan-13 17:34:12

Sounds lush. Just to let you know though, if the wine goes in before its baked, the alcohol is baked out

Celestialcloud Fri 04-Jan-13 17:40:52

I have 2 bottles of mulled wine left from Christmas so will definitely use some with this recipe this weekend, thank you so much, sounds delicious!

HopeForTheBest Sun 06-Jan-13 20:21:03

It still tastes enough of red wine though that my DH (who doesn't like alcohol) won't touch it!
<more for me grin grin >

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now