Advanced search

where can I buy a piping bag? (for icing)

(14 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 28-Mar-13 21:41:25

I bought a Tala one and some of the nozzles (IIRC it had five with it and I bought 3 large ones for buttercream)

Blardy thing leaked the buttercream through the seam angry
I think I'll go back to the disposable ones.
I could understand if it was Royal icing but this is soft.

Damn my Hairy Trucker Hands.

WileyRoadRunner Mon 18-Mar-13 11:45:59

I agree don't buy cheap. I bought a Tala icing set from an online place - - it comes with all different nozzles (metal) and a big washable bag.

I'm really pleased with it, easy to clean after use (cones with cleaning utensils) and the tin means everything is kept organised but then I'm sad like that.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 10-Mar-13 09:44:52

I've used sandwich bags before and it's been fine. I also have a non disposable one which I use sometimes, I wash it in the dishwasher.

bakingaddict Sun 10-Mar-13 09:34:21

Agree with Midori and butterflies....I get 100 disposable ones of ebay for about £3.

butterfliesinmytummy Sun 10-Mar-13 09:27:40

If you need one quickly, use a large ziplock bag and chop off the corner, the large ikea ziplock bags are perfect for huge amounts of icing and never split (unlike some cheaper piping bags). Baking paper piping bags are fine for very small amounts of royal icing when you need to do very intricate piping (easier to handle) but useless for bigger amounts of icing as they tend to unravel. Always use disposable piping bags.

midori1999 Sun 10-Mar-13 09:15:43

Use disposables. Asda or Lakeland do ok ones or you can buy professional disposable ones on EBay. Professional bakers never use re usable piping bags for hygiene reasons, plus, non disposables can be messy.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sat 09-Mar-13 17:56:59

Don't bother with supermarket or Wilkos ones. I have bought them and they r s* !! Splash out get a decent one that's fit for purpose!!

shesariver Sat 09-Mar-13 17:54:09

Asda do disposable ones that I use a lot and they are fine.

woodsewlm Thu 07-Mar-13 15:36:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ISeeSmallPeople Fri 30-Nov-12 22:15:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Willdoitinaminute Fri 30-Nov-12 22:15:28

Lakeland plastics do pack of plastic icing bags that you can use with nozzle or just snip the end off. They are brilliant if you are using different colours and no spending hours cleaning and drying after use.

Purplehonesty Fri 30-Nov-12 22:14:55

Tesco has fabric ones; I just bought a silicone one which is good and easy to clean but that was a cookware shop.

McPhee Fri 30-Nov-12 22:14:44

If you have a Wilkinsons near you, I know they sell them as I saw them today. Infact, they've got quite a good baking section.

satinandsilk Fri 30-Nov-12 22:09:13

Would a big Saisbury's have one or will I have to go to a proper cook shop?
I've seen a 'how to make your own' thing on Youtube using baking paper - not sure if a home made one will work pretty much as well as a shop bought one?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: