Talk

Advanced search

Tips for saving money in case of website??

(6 Posts)
Kilara Thu 08-Feb-18 02:15:29

I'm going to start my own business, it will be connected with interior design and of course I need a nice website for my company. It looks like that making it will be really expensive so I'm looking for cheaper ideas and tools. Advice please?
Would be really grateful for responses!

Justanotherzombie Thu 08-Feb-18 02:26:05

There's loads of off the shelf make your own website options that are very cheap or even free. Then you just need to register a domain name and pay a small fee to make the domain name live for the website you've put together. This way you can always update it yourself for free.

Stay away from web designers. A site will cost you a lot and then you need them to do any updates.

SteX Thu 08-Feb-18 02:41:44

Stay away from web designers. A site will cost you a lot and then you need them to do any updates.

Erm... there's a ton of difference between a home-built website, and a professionally designed one. It depends how much business you think your website will generate. A professional site should also have a management system so you can make updates whenever you like, and substantial search engine optimisation. Not to mention integrating with social media.

But hey, let's demonise web designers shall we....

Justanotherzombie Thu 08-Feb-18 07:35:27

Lol SteX, did you read the OP, even just her title.

And for the record I'm a self employed web developer. But if you consider what she needs her website for (interior design) it's not very complex and if she can't afford the hundreds/thousands for a professional site then this is her option. Which is what she was asking about.

SteX Thu 08-Feb-18 07:47:55

My apologies, I skim-read the thread originally...

Envato have decent templates you can simply "plug-in"to a free system such as Wordpress, cannot see hosting costs being more than a few quid a month.

NeonSun Fri 09-Feb-18 11:24:35

Custom-designed sites are really expensive and need much time for making, you won't get a ready one not earlier than after several months. Such type is the best for big commercial projects and well-developed successful business but for a startup like in your case isn' a good idea at all. There are many much cheaper alternatives in this case, besides with starting a business you should be really careful with your budget for at least a couple of years from its start hmm
I recommend you to use one of free platforms for web building, the best ones among them are Wix and WordPress. They're very easy for using so you can make a site even with your own hands, you won't need any special skills and there are also many helpful tutorials for such platforms smile
Web templates are also helpful for saving money and time in case of design. You can just choose interior design wordpress themes, install the one you like the most of all and modify according to your needs. There's a really great variety of them www.templatemonster.com/category/interior-design-wordpress-themes/ , prices for them are low and some types can be used for free too. However professional web designers don't recommend to choose free ones for business because they have many limits for some functions, design and later upgrades of site in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now