Talk

Advanced search

Opinion on business ideas

(14 Posts)
wantabusiness Tue 23-Jan-18 23:19:11

I live in London. I am from India. I have been out of work for sometime. I am thinking of starting an online business as not much progress with job search because of gap.
I was always interested in fashion and have 2 ideas.

I need some feedback. Please be honest, I won't mind if you don't like those products smile
So here are my ideas-
1. Bollywood inspired clothing for kids (mostly females). Would you buy one for your kids?

web links with example pictures -

assets5.mirraw.com/images/2592200/Pink_Baby_Lehenga_zoom.jpg?1467007340

i.pinimg.com/736x/80/5a/fc/805afc86299f7f15308b852240a5d428--indian-girls-kids-collection.jpg

2. Kurta tops

i.pinimg.com/originals/76/8a/e8/768ae852bf66df64985b07ee8d1468d3.jpg

i.pinimg.com/originals/0b/1a/de/0b1ade44f6341b67a3cc6bf2791852c3.jpg

images.voonik.com/76764/pretty-pintuck-short-kurta-original.jpg?1388930007

I am not just targeting Indians living in UK. Most of them do this kind of shopping in India. Would you buy these products? If so, which idea you think will have more demand.

Many thanks in advance smile

bramblina Tue 23-Jan-18 23:27:50

My dd would have loved dressing up in item number one, it's beautiful. I personally don't like little girly dressing up like item number 2 with her tummy out like a belly dancer, I find it rather sexual but that's just my humble opinion. I love the Kurta tops and could do with a wardrobe change! I especially like the first one.

Good luck!!

wantabusiness Tue 23-Jan-18 23:41:32

Thanks for your help bramblina smile

Do you think £25 is reasonable price for Kurta top number 1 and £40 for kid's dress number 1?

Do you mind me asking your ethnicity?

Thanks again

MiddleClassProblem Tue 23-Jan-18 23:47:48

I think the kurta tops has more appeal to a wider audience and you can easily expand in the future adding to the range.

I don’t think there will be a huge amount of white people looking to dress their children in Bollywood clothes unless it was for a one of party and then they can just shop at any Indian clothes retailer. Also the chances of a party like that is slim compared to most other themes.

fairylightsdown Wed 24-Jan-18 00:16:20

Go with the kurta tops. Great in tge summer. £25 is a bargain - i tgink tgey sell them for a lot more than thst in monsoon. The kids stuff would be adorable but unlikely to have much demand. You could advertise tailor made / bespoke kids outfits (posh party types) and have some samples already made up. That way you're not wasting much on stock/storage.

fairylightsdown Wed 24-Jan-18 00:17:10

Sorry for all of the predictive text typos .. they aren't even words ffs

wantabusiness Wed 24-Jan-18 00:38:52

Thanks a lot middleclass and fairylights
I appreciate your suggestions. Very helpful.

Plipplops Wed 24-Jan-18 10:46:53

The first two Kurta tops are really lovely, I'd buy one for £25.

My only other thought is that I'd only buy clothes online if they had free returns, I'd far rather be able to buy a couple of sizes to try and send one back. If I have to pay for returns it definitely puts me off.

bramblina Fri 26-Jan-18 13:36:09

Hi wantabusiness, yes I'd pay £25 for that top. I'm not sure I'd spend £40 on the dress for my little girl unless I was sure I could send it on. It is beautiful and I'm sure it's worth it but that's just my view.
I'm white British. My Auntie is too- she got married in a sari and it was absolutely divine!!

wantabusiness Sat 27-Jan-18 00:50:04

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate it smile

I meant £25 for the first kurta top. Plipplops has a good point about free returns. But that means I will need to absorb it in the price. I have to do a bit more thinking. Many thanks for all your answers !!!
Sari for wedding is not a bad idea. Maybe sari inspired wedding gowns smile

mumpoints Sat 27-Jan-18 01:07:15

Definitely the tops. Tunics are flattering to just about any age or size so your customer base is really good.

One thing I've noticed is that it's hard to get a tunic for taller people that sit right, and if you do get a longer length one, they look like dresses on shorter people.

If you are having stock made to order, a tunic in a choice of lengths would be a good marketing idea.

wantabusiness Sat 27-Jan-18 02:39:48

Thanks mumspoints smile

By 'made to order', did you mean tops are stitched after customers enter their size (length)? Thanks in advance!!

mumpoints Sat 27-Jan-18 10:18:19

By "made to order" I meant they are made for you to sell on, so you can specify to the factory what you want. So, for instance you could order 2 dozen of a top in normal length and 2 dozen longer length.

For something as forgiving and floaty as those tops, I don't think there would be any benefit in making them to individual customer sizes.

wantabusiness Wed 31-Jan-18 19:17:50

Thanks mumpoints. Sorry I couldn't reply earlier.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: