Talk

Advanced search

New business

(6 Posts)
workbeforebeach Mon 18-Sep-17 13:23:45

I am hoping to start up a business from home. I have spotted a gap in a market and have a small amount of capital to set it up. The business is providing hire of equipment (associated with parties). The equipment is simple, not technical or complicated. I think I will need public liability insurance, do I need any other kind of insurance?

I will get a website, I think I need one with the ability for a customer to book/pay on a calendar....are they much more complicated than a 'normal' website. I could manage bookings by phone/paper I suppose? Do I need to set up a separate bank account for the business, I would like to keep it separate if possible. I think I am able to set up as a sole trader but need to do a bit more research.

I have set up Instsgram/FB accounts and will do cards/flyers for marketing but hope to get lots of word of mouth referrals...as it will be unique to our area and a new concept.

Anything else I need to think of....I am really excited by it but a bit overwhelmed with all the practical things to get it off the ground. Any tips would be much appreciated!!

Sharpek Thu 28-Sep-17 18:18:17

I have recently started a dog walking and cleaning business. Fully insured and registered. Do you think this would get any interest ?

ColetteBroomhead Wed 04-Oct-17 17:46:18

Hello! Sounds really exciting smile

regarding your website, there are tons of free or relatively cheap apps that you can use alongside your website to allow people to book or pay online.

Some examples of appt booking apps are Calendly or Accuity.

For the purchasing side of things, take a look at something like Woocommerce.

Good luck with it all! smile

kerriemarie Sun 08-Oct-17 11:55:12

i have started a private home cleaning business on my own to fit around school hours. from deep clean to carpet cleaning plus ironing included to oven and fridge freezer cleans aswell though I've tweaked my prices don't have many clients yet but how do i tell them my prices have gone up.

PelicanP123 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:32:46

Sounds very exciting, I have been using Create as a website builder for my small business (I sell bike parts) and it is super easy to get set up and you could easily add some type of booking system. They are also not too expensive compared to some others.

I would also think about small business tax forms, you don't want to get caught out with any penalties confused here is the UK Gov link to the forms you need to fill out www.gov.uk/topic/business-tax/self-employed

Hope that helps and good luck!

kerriemarie Tue 10-Oct-17 14:29:34

thank you. but omg I am so rubbish with technology can't even get a simple design

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now