Talk

Advanced search

Finding a gap in the market

(10 Posts)
Kaz2200 Mon 31-Jul-17 09:17:34

Not sure if this is the right place, but I am looking for some ideas for flexible working, I own a small business at the moment, but looking to semi-retire in the next few years. My OH and I would like to travel, but also have a small income. I a quiet happy to retrain, I had thought of learning French Polishing so that I could take commissions, but still be able to travel in-between. Does anyone have a similar job or any ideas of something I could learn over the next couple of years that would give me flexibility in the future.

MollyHuaCha Mon 31-Jul-17 09:21:23

Jewellery making?

Kaz2200 Mon 31-Jul-17 09:31:37

Possibly, although I would need more than a hobby business if that makes any sense but trying to find something I can work hard at and earn decent money, but then also to be able to schedule time off if that makes sense. The dream is to buy a holiday home abroad and gradually spend more time there, but initially maybe once a month. We are 52 at the moment, we have two retail businesses that are extremely tying, but on the flip side don't want to end up selling both businesses and tuning into couch potatoes!

Batoutahell Mon 31-Jul-17 09:34:59

I don't think French Polishing can be done in isolation very successfully without joinery work and wood repair/replacement work.

One idea is upholstery, people pay quite a lot for it and it's one set of skills that could be learnt. If you are creative and have good taste you could combine fabric sales and advisory.

Kaz2200 Mon 31-Jul-17 09:39:32

I quite like the idea of upholstery, I'll do a bit of research on courses. Does anyone else have a similar lifestyle, if so what do you do?

ImperialBlether Fri 11-Aug-17 16:38:17

@Kaz2200 I watched a programme about doing up houses (with that woman who did the dating show) and one of the guys on the programme had bought a big house in London that needed a lot of work doing to it. He got a price for the plastering - I think it was £17,000 for the whole house. He took a plastering course - think it cost him £500 and did it himself. He could then work for others for a good rate of pay.

Why not consider both of you doing something like this? It would be useful in your new home. It would mean you could earn money - much more money than you'd earn doing upholstery.

TraceE1 Sun 10-Sep-17 23:08:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

wheredoesallthetimego Mon 11-Sep-17 06:06:04

traceee1 let me guess. Forever living? Younique? Kleeneze? Or another ripoff MLM?

ColetteBroomhead Wed 04-Oct-17 17:59:40

Have you considered creating some kind of passive income online which would allow you to work and travel at the same time? I help online startups and recently wrote a post on different ways to make money online which may give you some inspiration! smile www.colettebroomhead.com/make-money-blogging/

G0GIRLG0 Wed 11-Oct-17 13:55:25

What an awesome idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now