Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas for stay at home mums to make extra money?

(36 Posts)
BusyBee2017 Fri 12-May-17 08:57:16

Hi I wanted to make some money whilst at home with my two boys who are small so needs to be flexible around them.. has anybody had any success with anything?

Dangerismymiddlename Fri 12-May-17 09:13:26

Matched betting, there are threads about it in the money section, current thread is here and there is a video that explains it here 😀

Profitwinner Tue 16-May-17 23:47:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Numberonecook Wed 17-May-17 14:27:50

Wait for the MLM lot to come running now! Stay away from anything that involves buying a kit, equipment, set up fee etc. Also stay clear from those saying if you recommend a friend you can earn extra. Good luck

ColetteBroomhead Tue 06-Jun-17 21:42:29

Hey BusyBee2017 - have you thought about blogging or setting up an online business? What sort of things are you interested in/good at? Which of these could you potentially monetise? Do you have a skill that you could do freelance? (eg copywriting, social media management etc) Perhaps you're into fitness and could do something along those lines?
I set up my own business as a coach (for the exact same reason as you - 2 little boys!) - I just used the skills that I'd gained in my marketing career while still in corporate.... Hope that helps get some ideas firing for you!

I actually have a FB group for people who want to quit their 9-5 and create a business doing what they love - you'd be very welcome to join! www.facebook.com/groups/businessclasscommunity/

Callyrose92 Tue 13-Jun-17 12:40:21

AssembleTheMinions Tue 13-Jun-17 12:48:56

Cally so, what dodgy pyramid scheme are you flogging then?

Sleepsforpeeps Tue 13-Jun-17 12:50:41

I started a small business making hair accessories a few years ago when mine were small, it took a good 18 months to notice decent profits and to build the business but for putting in a couple of hours each day at its peak i was making £400-500 per month profit which I thought was quite good! It was easy to register business which hmrc and I asked local trading standards for safety advice as was aimed at children. There's also soap/candle making, sewing, card making etc.

Callyrose92 Tue 13-Jun-17 13:04:08

StuckInnaVanTrump Tue 13-Jun-17 13:04:34

Not popular with many, but easy to stay anonymous.

How about sex chat line?

Callyrose92 Tue 13-Jun-17 13:25:26

Krispiesquare Tue 13-Jun-17 13:47:09

I trained as a bookkeeper and have a few clients. I do about 6 hours a week on average and there's no childcare or commuting cost. I work remotely and around my kids. What I 'take home' is around the same amount I would after childcare (for 2 whole day) and travel costs working 3 days a week on a £27k salary so it's been worth it for me

moomoogalicious Tue 13-Jun-17 13:54:53

Another bookkeeper here. I did a course when my dc were at infants/nursery and also had to learn xero, quickbooks and sage. I gradually built up my client base through recommendations, and also got work through an accountant, working remotely from home.The usual rate is around £12.50/hour (SE)

This has enable me to go on to do bookkeeping in an office environment with a guaranteed wage now my dc are at high school - I do this in conjuction with some home based work, which is a nice mix.

PutThatPomBearBack Tue 13-Jun-17 14:21:18

Facebook tat?grin

Westray Tue 13-Jun-17 14:25:03

I bought and sold stuff to sell on ebay for many years, easily made £1000 profit a month.

I now make items to sell on Amazon/ebay and make four times that.

StarHeartDiamond Tue 13-Jun-17 14:27:06

What kind of bookkeeper courses did you do moomoo and what does the work involve on a day to day please? Really interested in that. I have a business/commerce background already so it wouldn't be a huge shift.

DoubleHelix79 Tue 13-Jun-17 14:42:51

Making crafty things and selling them on Etsy seems to be quite a popular way to generate some cash

passthecremeeggs Tue 13-Jun-17 15:08:38

Watching with interest - could I also ask for more info about book keeping courses? Is there a good place to start?

Hekabe Tue 13-Jun-17 15:40:23

Check out the institute of certified bookkeepers (ICB)or the IAB. Don't under value your selves though- I'm in the SE and charge £22.50phr.

moomoogalicious Tue 13-Jun-17 16:21:43

Are you in London hekabe? £12- £15 is the going rate on the south coast. No way I could charge £22.50/hour!

Star I did an online bpp bookkeeping aat level 2 which teaches you double entry and the basics. I had to go into London to sit my exam. You will definitely need to learn some accounting software. I did sage level 1 (?) Although I've hardly used it. Xero and quick books I've learnt on the job. Vat, payroll and other things I've also learnt on the job.

cauliflowercheese14 Tue 13-Jun-17 16:24:21

Can't believe anyone makes any money from craft.

Book keeping sounds like a sensible suggestion.

Beware of pyramid schemes.

moomoogalicious Tue 13-Jun-17 16:24:51

Star - day to day it varies depending on what the client wants. It can be a lot of data entry, inputting invoices etc. But as I said I also do vat, payroll etc, work on budgets, deal with hmrc

Newjob12345 Tue 13-Jun-17 16:27:15

You won't become a millionaire from it but doing surveys brings in a little extra for us. I'm with a few that pay £3 per survey. Others are just pennies but soon build up.

Westray Tue 13-Jun-17 16:51:31

Can't believe anyone makes any money from craft.

Many do.

I earn far more than my OH- and he has a decent job.
I make craft items and sell worldwide, mostly retail, but a fair bit of wholesale too, I supply several shops and other outlets in the US, Ireland Japan and S America.

Hekabe Tue 13-Jun-17 17:58:34

Hey moomoogalicious,

Nope, not in London! Can't really divulge much more than that I'm afraid. My rates have only just gone up though from £20phr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now