Talk

Advanced search

Business idea - thoughts please

(18 Posts)
Landie1 Fri 24-Mar-17 15:44:27

Hello,
I am busy toying with a new business idea. I spend much of my time running through ideas and now feel ready to put the idea out to parents. This demographic could potentially be a big portion of my work.

My idea is to help people with organising; from kitchen cupboards to children's bedrooms, revision timetables to meal prep ideas. I am a hugely organised person and I am constantly being praised at work for my organisational skills.

I am keen to help people perhaps de-clutter their homes, sheds, garages but also advise on lifestyle organisation such as kids lunches, weight loss lunches, weekly meal planning.

My background is health and fitness and currently, work in a College where I support, advise and guide students aged between 16 - 19 yr olds.

Any comments and criticisms would be gratefully received.

ImperialBlether Fri 24-Mar-17 15:47:52

Have you looked up how much this would cost for someone to buy in?

Also if people have a cleaner, they could ask her to do a lot of that.

I do think a lot of people need it, but whether they need it enough to pay your wages is another thing.

pitterpatterrain Fri 24-Mar-17 15:57:36

How would you make a retainer or ongoing income from it? (so that you are not tied to only earning when you have hours in the day & your local geography)

armpitz Fri 24-Mar-17 15:58:35

What form would the advice take? I mean, I just don't see how it would actually work sorry?

akkakk Fri 24-Mar-17 16:19:52

There are people already doing this as a commercial business - have a search online - so it is viable, you simply need to find a suitable market of people near enough to deal with and wealthy enough (and time-short) to want it, without too much other competition...

Landie1 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:22:56

I'm not sure every cleaner would have the skills to organise a revision schedule for an A Level student or the knowledge to help someone that wants to lose weight to meal prep their entire weekly meals.
It's more a bespoke service I hope to offer. A cleaner could definitely help with kitchen cupboards say, but may draw the line at garages?

Landie1 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:29:18

Pretty much a bespoke consultancy service.
I can help with advising on planning, organising and decluttering the kids play room, bedrooms, hall ways. Taking the stress out the day to day struggle of finding shoes, planners, sports kits etc etc.
Any help people want with organising themselves or their home really.

Landie1 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:31:38

Yes exactly, I've done a lot of searching on line. I'm fortunate enough to live near some affluent areas as I am mindful that not everyone could afford to buy into this service.
But people could perhaps afford me for an hour to sort out a revision schedule for their child's exams. This is an important process that can impact exam success.

Landie1 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:33:35

No idea is the short answer.
But what I do know is it is something I would consider as a hobby and build on this. Working towards a webpage, blog and maybe even into commercial offices. New start-ups?

BikeRunSki Fri 24-Mar-17 18:08:56

Isn't this what Life Coaches do?

Landie1 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:22:58

I guess I'm part Life Coach then

pitterpatterrain Fri 24-Mar-17 19:01:11

How are you thinking about finding customers for each of the items you mention? Maybe there is a different "product" as such for each. For the exam revision maybe a weekend workshop for groups of teens that could help them help themselves, working with a school, tutors, direct etc (likely many other ways but I suppose I was thinking a one off hour for one teen may not necessarily be worth the effort it takes to find them, and how do you get repeat business)

Affluent areas - good smile

As your angle is health and fitness that seems pretty good to go the route of a lifestyle change coach with a focus on getting into habits, organisation etc

How hands on do you want to be vs telling them to declutter then tracking their progress on a weekly / monthly basis?

Landie1 Fri 24-Mar-17 19:21:05

Great feedback, thank you.
My plan was first a flyer drop to said afffluent areas, a hundred or so at a time. But also reaching out to Facebook Groups.
I'm happy to be very hands on, or completely hands off and just advise.
With revision, the strategies are in place that I can implement depending on the subject. I wouldn't necessarily help with subject content just 'how to'

flowery Fri 24-Mar-17 19:23:53

Not in Cambridgeshire are you OP?

SweetGrapes Fri 24-Mar-17 19:26:34

Ooh! Where are you? I need you organise my kids rooms. There is tons of storage and I have culled a lot - but for the life of me i cannot figure out how to organise it. My kitchen is not too bad - but could do with some ideas there too.

Landie1 Fri 24-Mar-17 19:49:05

Hello, I'm in Berkshire smile

AnisQiz Tue 04-Apr-17 19:41:46

Landie1, a flyer drop in the affluent area is a great idea. I would start with one service, first, and see how it lands. Also, the message you write on the flyer must focus on the pain/ problem they face as a result of clutter, as well as the solution. Read a book like Tested Advertising Methods by John Caples, it gives great ideas on copy that gets people to take action.

Landie1 Tue 04-Apr-17 20:08:15

Thank you that's really helpful, will look that book up.
I was considering concentrating on one area and your point raising the problem they might be facing is very valid. Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now