Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this a stupid idea?

(6 Posts)
pizzafrenchfries Sat 11-Mar-17 00:07:35

How easy is it to setup a shop?

My dream is to set up a baby clothes/ toys shop- we live in a fairly affluent town but there is a dearth of shops like the one I imagine!

Is it really stupid to think it's possible? I would try online but I really think our area is missing what I'm envisioning so it might be easier to make it work by having a physical shop front!

My background is in web design/marketing and my dh works in retail...

I've found a cheap shop to Rent i just need the push to go for it!

beachbodyunready Sat 11-Mar-17 00:12:02

Check out the rates - the rent could be artificially low just to get a tenant and the rates could be tens of thousands of pounds a year. I work in this field and see so many shops open and fold within 2 years due to the fact that the tenant hasn't factored in what a burden the rates could be. My advice would be to get the smallest possible shop up you can and try and get one with a rateable value of less that £6k so that no rates are payable.

pizzafrenchfries Sat 11-Mar-17 00:17:47

Thank you! The rates are 4000 (it's quite a small unit but I thought small would be better as wouldn't need loads of stock to fill it?

beachbodyunready Sun 12-Mar-17 19:08:01

Small is good for a start up, but £4000 per year is a lot, don't forget the rates are payable regardless of how much you sell.

Astro55 Sun 12-Mar-17 19:12:02

Can you start at baby shows or garble top sales - eBay etc and generate some interest?

What's your unique selling point? Quality secondhand or new? Expensive new or unique or basic?

NSEA Sun 12-Mar-17 19:14:38

I say go for it!!

Sounds interesting and if you think that you are filling a gap in the market then have faith in yourself.

Another possibility could be to find the local Facebook group in your area, especially a parents and baby page and pose the question on there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now