Talk

Advanced search

Am I the only one with a million ideas?

(3 Posts)
gossipgirlxo Tue 21-Feb-17 20:12:21

I'm like the majority of people and constantly dreaming of becoming my own boss, I have a million ideas running through my head but I suppose I struggle to understand what idea would work. So I thought where better to share these ideas than on mums net in the hope someone could shed some light on what could be a good direction to move in! And maybe give me the confidence to believe I can do it.
Idea one - wedding planner. Although very far from planning a wedding for myself I find myself helping everyone else planning there weddings and I love it. I've looked into courses to help me start up and have found a perfect one with the UK alliance of wedding planners! Also there is very little start up costs with this business main cosy being getting a website designed! I could also work it around my current part time job.
Idea two - wedding stationary. Having previously worked in graphic design I'm very familiar with programs such as Photoshop and illustrator and often design party invites for friends and family! I again love this but I would need to sharpen my skills and there doesn't seem to be anything in the way of a course to point you in the right direction!
Idea three - flower crowns. Creating flower crowns with both dried and fresh flowers. For weddings, parties or festivals. Again I've found a course for doing this however I'm not sure how much interest there would be in this. Would most people not just use the florist who is designing there flowers?

So please help me, are all my ideas rubbish? Am I just day dreaming? Should I just take the leap and believe in myself?

JaxingJump Sat 25-Feb-17 08:44:58

If you are good at it and committed there's no reason why any of those ideas wouldn't work. If people spend money on things you just need to be better than your competitors to take that money.

You're not going to get rich on those ideas though and earning enough to support yourself will be tough but not impossible.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 28-Feb-17 00:00:02

Your ideas are fun, but they have no unique selling point.
If you can find a gap in the market for any of them it might be worth exploring.

The latter two you could start on a hobbyist basis. Maybe put together some invites for friends or make nice cards for birthdays etc so that people know what you're capable of. It's definitely the most accessible job of the three.

Flower crowns... I'd use a florist. There's not enough of a business in flower crowns alone. Plus you'd need to consider premises, insurance, flower markets etc. If it's something you're passionate about maybe have a look into the floristry market to see if there's something missing in your area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: