Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of these name ideas?

(42 Posts)
ProfessorPickles Sun 12-Feb-17 22:03:12

When I finish my degree in May, I want to start a business selling my own artwork (printmaking) as well as creating one off pieces that I think could sell well (especially around valentines and Christmas). These works will be based around tickets!

I'm struggling with a name as I feel like the ticket part needs a name that is related to it to work, but then a name too specific could not relate to my own work that I want to create.

I've been trying to come up with some ideas so your opinions would be great.
I also know MNers are amazing at coming up with business name ideas!! smile

My ideas:

Just the Ticket
That's the Ticket
Annie and Stubs (Ticket stub ref)

I also love my username but I don't know if it's weird blush I would love to work under the name Professor Pickles!

Just throwing some ideas around at the moment, I can't wait to get going in the summer 😬

ArchNotImpudent Sun 12-Feb-17 22:09:51

I prefer something with 'Annie' in it to the 'Just the ticket' type names - the latter have a touch of the hairdresser pun about them, IYSWIM.

'Stubs' is perhaps not quite specific enough to point to your theme as the word has other meanings.

Have you explored words for 'ticket' in other languages?

ProfessorPickles Sun 12-Feb-17 22:15:56

Thank you for your post! I agree the first two have a bit of a cheesy feel to them.

I was thinking that any name I have the logo could be on a ticket? I have a good idea of how it'll look in my mind!

I'm liking Annie too, how does Annie and Stubs sound even if the link to tickets isn't working?

ProfessorPickles Sun 12-Feb-17 22:17:50

I just had a quick look at other languages and nothing stood out!
I think saw Billet and Tesserula (means 'the little ticket' in Latin, I'd have to check that though)

ProfessorPickles Sun 12-Feb-17 22:36:52

Connie and Hoop

Annie and Stubs

Or

Professor Pickles

These are my current favourites

NotJanine Sun 12-Feb-17 22:47:38

Who do you think your target market will be?

ProfessorPickles Sun 12-Feb-17 22:51:26

For my own work I imagine it will be suited to people aged 20-35 who are fairy fashionable/arty. Quirky may be an appropriate word!

But the Ticket side could apply to anyone of any age, it would be a great gift to give to a partner or even something for them self if they go see their favourite band/film etc

LyndaLaHughes Sun 12-Feb-17 23:23:07

What about "Dream Tickets" I know it's cheesy but it suggests a gift the recipient would love and something special.

ProfessorPickles Sun 12-Feb-17 23:27:45

This is how I'd have my logo if it helps!
So maybe "Annie & Stubs" where it says admit one.

I like Dream Tickets, thanks Lynda! I'm unsure whether to go for cheese (my other ideas were cheesy) but I'll add it to my list!

Thefishtankneedswater Sun 12-Feb-17 23:29:52

Ticket tout

ArchNotImpudent Sun 12-Feb-17 23:30:01

'Tesserula' has a definite ring to it - it rolls off the tongue really well.

Pickles Tesserula or Tesserula Pickles sounds catchy and distinctive.

Pickle and Stubs might be a quirkier alternative to Annie and Stubs.

(I have no business-naming credentials by the way grin - hope these might help spark ideas for you though).

Pigeonpost Sun 12-Feb-17 23:32:00

Annie and Stubs is great.

ScarletSienna Sun 12-Feb-17 23:33:15

I think Annie and Stubs is effective in that it's memorable for what it is (the ticket stub reference), is easy to spell (and therefore Google) and isn't cheesy.

Me347 Sun 12-Feb-17 23:33:58

I don't get Annie and stubs??

BertrandRussell Sun 12-Feb-17 23:36:08

Billet Doux

ProfessorPickles Sun 12-Feb-17 23:37:10

Thanks for the further suggestions, I'm noting them all down smile

I'm thinking Annie and Stubs may be the one. It is unusual but not cheesy or too out there either!

ProfessorPickles Sun 12-Feb-17 23:37:59

What is it you don't get Me347?
Why the words are relevant or you don't get it as in you don't feel it works?

ArchNotImpudent Sun 12-Feb-17 23:43:36

If you choose Annie and Stubs, an ampersand might look effective in your logo instead of a printed 'and' - you could get quite arty with a swirly one.

ProfessorPickles Sun 12-Feb-17 23:44:46

That is a great idea! A really arty one would look amazing

ProfessorPickles Mon 13-Feb-17 09:09:47

Anymore opinions on Annie & Stubs? smile

Me347 Mon 13-Feb-17 10:19:48

Sorry if I'm being thick blush

Is your name Annie? Is it a pun that I'm missing?

TheLastUnicorn1 Mon 13-Feb-17 10:26:08

I Like Annie & Stubs
it's a ticket reference without being too obvious.
I have an etsy shop and started a few years ago selling prints.. Print is in my shop name. Over the last few years it has really grown and I now also sell plaques/signs - probably more than prints.
Now it really annoys me that 'print' is in my shop name and I am thinking of changing it - just not sure as I have repeat customers etc who know the shop name.
Just something to think on when you are naming it as you might end up adding other designs in the future.
Good luck smile

ProfessorPickles Mon 13-Feb-17 17:53:32

You're not being thick Me! My middle name is Anne which is why I chose Annie and Stubs was just related to a ticket stub. Nothing fancy! And no puns, hopefully grin

TheLastUnicorn1 - thank you for the advice, it is great to hear from someone who has been there and done it themselves! That is a great point about if you start with prints but then venture into another area your name might become less relevant.

Would it bother anyone that my first name isn't Annie?

Pigeonpost Mon 13-Feb-17 17:55:55

I thought of this thread when I came across a website this morning called Ethel & Co. No idea whether Ethel is the name of the seller, her child, her grandmother or her dog but I thought it was lovely and simple but with a strong identity. Which is why I like Annie & Stubs. Def with the ampersand.

ArchNotImpudent Mon 13-Feb-17 18:17:06

I can't see that it would matter at all that Annie isn't your first name. As Pigeon said, it could equally well be the name of someone dear to you, or even just a name you felt had the right ambience. The founder of the Victoria's Secret brand was called Roy, but that didn't stop it from taking hold as a name grin.

You could also consider using Anne or Annie as your professional name when dealing with customers, if you felt it would make your brand more memorable at the start up stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now