Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

graphic design software

(6 Posts)
Niks2026 Thu 02-Feb-17 07:23:18

Good morning

I'm possibly looking at starting a company where I graphically design wedding stationary, personalised baby prints, business logos but am looking for some information on the best software. Anyone use any specific programs or software they could recommend?

olderthanyouthink Thu 02-Feb-17 21:46:15

This might be dumb but... What have you been using? Or are u going in with no experience?

I use (not for ages) illustrator.

neetneet Thu 02-Feb-17 21:57:45

Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign! I am a graphic designer who does all of the design work you mention and more, and couldn't imagine using anything else.

neetneet Thu 02-Feb-17 21:59:43

I forgot to add, it's much easier to get hold of the software now. You pay a monthly fee to Adobe and download it from their website, this includes tutorials and regular software updates. I think, if you just sign up, you can have a look through some of the tutorials, to get a feel for the software before you commit.

Niks2026 Fri 03-Feb-17 06:57:02

Thank you for the responses. Older up until now I've designed all my products using craft software. So anything I design is printed and constructed in a more crafty way than digital.

Neetneet I was looking at adobe illustrator so thank you for your recommendation. I think a monthly subscription is probably the best way to go. I've just got a new laptop too smile the tutorials will be very helpful along the way also.
Do you use all 3 programs?
I'm looking into some graphic design courses. I love designing but think the knowledge and information available through a course would be invaluable and worth the investment.

neetneet Fri 03-Feb-17 07:36:53

I do use all 3. Illustrator for files that need vector, i.e logo design, photoshop for web stuff and editing, and InDesign for layout design like reports, flyers etc. Each one has its own purpose and serve those purposes accordingly.

I have a degree in design but fell into working in another industry for almost 10 years, so I had to retrain when I decided to go back to it. If you can afford it, Shillington College (campuses around the UK), are very good. That's where I retrained. It's an intense 3 month full time course, or 9 month part time. I'm sure there are other local courses available around you too.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now