Talk

Advanced search

Starting Maths Tutoring Business

(9 Posts)
user1485013684 Sat 21-Jan-17 16:03:34

I'm in the process of starting a Maths Tutoring Business. Looking for people's advice and experience of best places to advertise a new business. I'm trying a website, social media and local magazines. Any of these I should focus on more than others or any other suggestions?

Also, any advice about small business start up matters e.g. paying tax, contracts etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

VivDeering Tue 31-Jan-17 13:46:01

What access do you have to potential students at the moment?

PurpleDaisies Tue 31-Jan-17 13:46:56

Are you doing it as a sole tutor or are you hiring people?

user1485013684 Tue 31-Jan-17 21:50:47

I'm not sure what you mean by 'access to students'? I'm not a teacher, if that's what you mean, but I get clients through word of mouth from previous clients and have just started to advertise as well.

user1485013684 Tue 31-Jan-17 21:52:26

I'm doing it as a sole tutor.

EssentialHummus Tue 31-Jan-17 21:55:35

Leafletting outside local schools? In local cafes which attract parents?

AtiaoftheJulii Tue 31-Jan-17 22:02:46

It's easy to register as self-employed with HMRC. Keep records of what you're paid, and if you're expecting to earn enough to pay tax, put some away through the year.

I didn't have contracts, but I did give people a list of expectations (pay each session, I won't come next time if you don't, if you cancel at the last minute I'll still expect to be paid (if it was an established client I didn't stick to this one, it was more a threat for new people!), etc) and what they could expect from me - e.g. If I cancelled at the last minute I'd do the next one for free.

I found that tutor websites and word of mouth were my best sources. In September I'd be wondering if I'd get as many students as I wanted, by Christmas I'd be turning people away. Good luck!

Mimisrevenge Sun 26-Feb-17 06:47:10

Hi
I'm thinking of doing the same . Currently I tutor English but also work full time and I'm turning people away. Do you get any work before school finishes say after 3 because I think I would need a day job for a bit until I could build up my client base. I'm thinking to do cover teaching as I can be more selective about when I work and have less responsibility to the school/less marking/no parents eve and that way spend more time in building the business up. Any pitfalls or advice you might have? Thanks

Mimisrevenge Sun 26-Feb-17 06:47:33

I meant before 3!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now