Talk

Advanced search

Advice on starting an ironing service please?

(6 Posts)
hanban89 Sat 10-Dec-16 21:55:40

I am already self employed. I have a retail shop where I hire out menswear (mostly weddings) I've got a massive loan to pay off and am feeling a bit swamped. Winter is dead and I'm not making enough to cover a wage for myself. I already have an industrial steam iron, and thought doing some ironing for people would help with money. Has anyone done this? How should I start advertising? I was thinking about charging per hour as it would offer the customer a better deal? Maybe not but maybe someone could advise on what to charge. There's only two ladies in my area which is quite big that I know of and they both charge per item. I have the plastic garment covers anyway as I need them at my shop and can get the wire hangers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Randytortoise Sat 10-Dec-16 22:07:08

I recently enquired about a local ironing service but was a bit put off as she charged per hour. As she was a bit vague when I enquired how much she could do in an hour it eft me confused.
I think I would have preferred a per basket price, maybe x price for a standard washing basket of adult clothes, x for child's?
I think if my local service had a really simplistic pricing system and I new what I was paying for, I would have definitely taken her up on it.

Akire Sat 10-Dec-16 22:12:06

I would prefer a set number of items i.e. 10 shirts or 20 kids items per hour is no good it may take you 2 or 6hours I don't want any suprises.

Plus you have proper steam iron you will be much quicker than soneone a normal iron per hour so you should charge per item. Or you could get through twice as much as someone up the road for the sane price.

hanban89 Sat 10-Dec-16 22:22:17

Yea DH said it might put people off not knowing what they needed to pay in advance. The other lady charges £1 per item, or 10 items for £8. I think that's expensive! I could easy get through 10 items quickly and would feel bad taking £8!
Maybe some ironing mumsnetters can let me know what that charge.
If it's per item maybe 60p? 30p for kids stuff, £1.50 double duvet? I don't have a clue!

BobbieDog Sat 10-Dec-16 22:26:48

My ironing lady charges per hour and I much prefer that. A professional ironer can get a lot done in an hour. I have had an ironing lady before who charged per item and it cost me double than the hourly rate lady

FrontRowSeat Sat 31-Dec-16 13:58:13

I had my own ironing business earlier this year. I priced per item e.g. £1.20 per shirt, 80p per tee etc.

I learned loads! Also found it very lucrative!

Feel free to PM me for more tips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now