We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does this sound like a good idea to you?

(14 Posts)
Amaya123 Wed 06-Jul-16 09:31:27

Hi everyone, I'm a single mum to a boy who is 2 and currently working full time in accounts. I would love to be able to start a business to eventually work in around him more i'm so willing to work all night so I can spend more time with him during the day, I have two ideas but would love people opinions!!

Idea One - Baby vests with different sayings on (could be personalised) for example 'My mum doesn't need your advise' 'I've just done 9 months inside' 'Hello I'm New Here' etc.. I have all the kit to start up due to my dads business being vehicle graphics, so would be a very low start up cost.

Idea Two- Floral Headbands made from real flowers for brides, bridesmaids, christenings, summer balls. Something classy simple and elegant! and who doesn't love flowers?

So I've got two very different ideas but could only really pursue one. What would you go for? or would you go for neither?
PLEASE HELP!!

Amaya123 Wed 06-Jul-16 12:27:05

Anybody want to help?

FaFoutis Wed 06-Jul-16 12:28:26

Headbands.

Louw1988 Wed 06-Jul-16 12:28:41

I would go for the baby grows and vests purely because the market is much bigger then for hairbands
Good luck in your venture x

WhatsGoingOnEh Wed 06-Jul-16 12:30:03

Personalised baby grows would be good.

OurBlanche Wed 06-Jul-16 12:32:21

But spell check would need to be your friend.. advice

The headbands sound good - and after all the fb horrors I never imagined yself typing that - and meaning it smile

HallowedMimic Wed 06-Jul-16 12:34:08

Go with headbands if you must, but I'd imagine the market is saturated.

And 'advice' is the word you were looking for, but don't go for any of those slogans unless you are actively trying to put customers off.

user7755 Wed 06-Jul-16 12:37:27

Ourblanche You beat me to it!

SunnySomer Wed 06-Jul-16 12:37:48

Well....
If you're going to go with idea 1, you need to make sure you get your spellings right. (Advice 😉) .The examples you've given will not be to everyone's taste - in some ways a totally customisable one might be best. Have you done any research about what's already available in this market? I had a baby 9 years ago, and there was a LOT around then, so you'd need to do something to differentiate yours.

Flowers: nice idea - but a bit niche and seasonal perhaps? What will you do in Autumn and winter? How will you market them?

Sorry, I sound really negative. But if you're a single parent you need to be sure you have a continuous income stream as much as possible.... However, if you're confident you can do that, then very good luck!

DamsonGinIsMyThing Wed 06-Jul-16 12:38:10

What type of prices are you looking at charging?

Amaya123 Wed 06-Jul-16 13:15:27

Sorry about my spelling mistake!! This is my only problem with idea number 1, after doing some research there do seem to be a lot around at a very reasonable price. And with the flowers I can see the concern during the autumn winter period, but i am still planning on working part time, I am fortunate enough to work in a family business so I know my hours can be flexible.

Thank you for your advice!

x

Amaya123 Wed 06-Jul-16 13:15:50

Thank you!

reallyanotherone Wed 06-Jul-16 13:23:59

There are plenty of florists out there already doing the headband thing.

The t-shirt thing is fairly saturated already too. If you were to go down that route, you're going to need to stand out more, with really great slogans you can't get anywhere else.

petshopboy Wed 05-Oct-16 17:52:36

Hi have you looked on etsy you could try selling them via that site there are loads on there though .what about selling at a local market or asking a baby clothes shop if they would buy them on your behalf ,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now