Talk

Advanced search

New business idea, honest opinions please

(8 Posts)
Sunshinemakesmehappy Sun 03-Jan-16 21:06:22

I am a professionally trained make up artist, but I also have another business so for the past year my makeup business has taken a back seat.

I now have more time free and was hoping to launch a make up lesson business that provides make up lessons by Skype. This would be aimed at clients who would like to learn how to apply makeup in the comfort of their own home at a time suitable for them.

The service would include a pre lesson consultation which would cover 1)consultation on the products they already have in their makeup bag 2) questions about their skin tone , colours etc so as I could give them a list of products and colours to get.

Then the actual lesson itself which would show how to correctly apply makeup for everyday or evening.

Before I go any further with this plan I am trying to get opinions on whether or not people would be comfortable with getting a makeup lesson via Skype?

MagpieCursedTea Sun 03-Jan-16 21:09:41

I think it would be good for people who are very busy or who can't get out for whatever reason. However, I think make up and make up lessons can be quite a hands on thing so I think that out up some barriers for you. Also, just seeing someone on screen might not give you a good enough indication of their skin type or colouring.

radiohelen Wed 06-Jan-16 13:48:45

Why would I pay for this when there are a thousand videos on youtube showing me how to apply make-up? If I want to know how to do a smoky eye or how to apply make up to aging skin then Google is my friend. I understand you are personalising but if that's the case I want you in the room with me, looking at my weird skin colour and recommending things, not on the end of a screen.
Do you have demand for this already? Have you got good hit rates on a youtube video of you giving a class?

TiggyD Sun 10-Jan-16 16:16:11

One hands on session is as good as 20 hours on line tutorials. Can you think of a twist on a regular 1 to 1 make up lesson?

TiggyD Sun 10-Jan-16 16:16:45

How about recording the lesson for the person to use in the future?

Whatdoidohelp Sun 10-Jan-16 16:19:23

Don't know who would pay for this when there is a million videos on YouTube

Saphwoodman Sat 16-Jan-16 11:41:49

There are some people you do this and make good money for example lily Galichi. However these people are often already extremely well known and in the public eye. For example if Kim Kardashian was doing it im sure she would make a killing because everyone idolises her and wants to look like her. I would say it wouldn't work unless you have a large fan base already. If I was you I would start by making YouTube tutorials and a blog, then you will start making money through ad sense. In the future with hard work there could be a demand. I would think there would be more of a demand if you was to teach people face to face on how to do makeup.

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Sat 16-Jan-16 11:42:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now