Talk

Advanced search

Anyone advise me how selling jewellery to shops works?

(3 Posts)
fakenamefornow Fri 13-Nov-15 21:25:06

I have a jewellery collection I want to sell and want to do wholesale to independent shops. I have small display cabinets that can be used as well. How do I approach business owners? Do they just buy the jewellery from me or do I just see if they'll take a display case and they only give me money for what they sell.

I'm all new to this so any advice is much appreciated

MamaVikki Wed 18-Nov-15 12:32:35

Hi, I'm a silversmith and jeweller. I currently have my jewellery collection in 2 galleries. I don't provide them with cabinets and it's just for the Christmas period (now to Jan) so not quite the same as you but thought I would let you know how this works. Most shops do this on a sale or return basis. I guess this suits them better than me which is why I only do this at Christmas time. They take between 30 and 45% commission. Make sure you have insurance in case anything gets damaged or goes missing. I always write an inventory of everything I'm handing over (including jewellery pouches etc). One gallery had their own contract (which is quite rare!), the other didn't but I turn up with my inventory and I write down everything we have agreed to verbally and give them a copy. I find that at this time of the year this is well worth my while. At other times of the year I prefer selling myself at craft fairs and online.
Hope that helps
X

fakenamefornow Wed 18-Nov-15 14:22:05

Oh, that's really helpful, thank you so much for replying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now