Talk

Advanced search

educational school visits to dairy farm

(7 Posts)
aghjmyrtle Tue 09-Jun-15 20:37:36

Just exploring the idea of opening our dairy farm for primary school visits. I have nearly completed CEVAS course and wondered if parents and teachers could advise me as to whether this could be a viable business venture. I would be looking to charge £150 for a full day, £110 for a morning or afternoon visit. Any feedback would be gratefully received. I feel we have a wonderful resource which we should be sharing with the younger generation so they can understand where their food comes from.

semi Tue 23-Jun-15 16:04:27

I'm a parent. I've also worked with clients selling in products/services to schools. As a parent, farm visits get a tick from me, especially if linked to food technology - sustainable and healthy eating initiatives. As kids don't really get full days off, it'd be £110 per school visit. I'd be happy to stump up the cash based on that being shared with 29 other kids...so £3.66 plus there's the school's transport and insurance to add so call it a round fiver. Yes works for me. Would be great to hear how you get on with this venture!

Nodney Tue 23-Jun-15 16:08:20

I think it's a fab idea too. My DS is in year three and has just completed a topic From Field to Fork and has been on a half day to Tesco to look at where food comes from. Id much rather he'd gone to a farm

DonkeyOaty Tue 23-Jun-15 16:10:08

School/kids bring their own drinks/snack to cut down on your Safer Food responsibilities, Enviro Health will prob say hand washing facilities need to be available I'll bet and a loo too.

It sounds great! Yes from me.

lougle Tue 23-Jun-15 19:23:40

"so £3.66 plus there's the school's transport and insurance to add so call it a round fiver."

You've allowed £42 for transport and insurance. A coach can cost over £200.

aghjmyrtle Wed 24-Jun-15 09:57:54

Thank you for your messages of encouragement and also your advice. I realise the idea has to appeal to parents as they ultimately will be funding it. I recognise the expense of coach travel as my son's nursery are visiting next week and the nursery are charging £4.50 just for the transport as I agreed to do my first visit f.o.c.
Nodney, good to hear your reaction about the visit to Tesco. So many children just think food comes from a supermarket and I feel we need to get children out onto farms to see where it is really produced by people who are passionate about growing food to the highest standard whilst caring for the environment.

aghjmyrtle Thu 16-Jul-15 21:59:12

Just thought I would let you know that I have hosted my first visit to our farm..phew! I hope I am not quite so nervous next time. the nursery children came f.o.c. as they were from my son's nursery but what does everybody think would be a reasonable charge for a day visit? £4.50 per head? My business coach has also suggested that I should consider doing small groups of children say 6 in number for an afternoon spent on the farm during the summer holidays. Is this a good idea, would you consider it for your child and what would you be prepared to pay? I would love to hear your comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now