Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone started up their own fashion business?

(4 Posts)
damonsalvatore Fri 10-Apr-15 15:23:59

Myself and a friend are looking into starting a small fashion line. I did a degree in fashion design whereas she took print design and has her own small studio so we have the skills and space.
We both know quite a bit about marketing and have many contacts in the photography/marketing/styling industries so shouldn't have too much of a problem once it's all up and running.

Only thinking of it as a sideline project at the moment as both of us have jobs but ideally once it is set up and established hope to do this fulltime.

I just wanted to find out if anyone has any experience in this field or has any advice for us as to where to start/how to go about it all?

Hamiltoes Fri 10-Apr-15 23:38:07

I'm doing it now grin started about a month ago designing, ordered in fabric, sewed up samples (because I'm pretty good on the machine but I know places can do this for you), two weeks ago created an instagram page, opened a big cartel store last weekend and made my first 5 sales during the week.

If your thinking of going about it the same way, then I'd love to chat and maybe we could share tips and troubles along the way?

Then again, I'm a mum of a 4yo and 5mo whos just going back to work full time and hoping this little enterprise can take off enough for me to reduce my hourse and (hopefully!) work from home. Are you thinking along the lines of something similar? And I mostly design childrens clothing so much easier and less time consuming to sew.

Good luck! I think in the age of social media its 100% entirely possible to do what your proposing and you certainly sound like you have the skills in design!

Hamiltoes Fri 10-Apr-15 23:41:29

And I didn't want to state the obvious and say that obviously its a cut throat market and moves so so quickly. (I guess with your degree you'd know that smile).

But if your designing for the younger generation where everything is #hashtagged, I think its alot easier to become the trendy must have thing than it ever has been before.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Tue 07-Jul-15 22:21:38

Hi hamiltoes, I'm just starting out in the same area too, if you have any tips or advice you have picked up along the way I would be ever so grateful!

How are you getting on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now