Talk

Advanced search

Pony Parties

(9 Posts)
Micsampip1 Fri 02-Jan-15 22:48:17

Hello all

I wondered if you could let me know what you think of my business idea.

I want to run miniature pony parties. Children would be able to pamper the ponies, groom them, put ribbons in their mane/tail, lead them round an obstacle course or round the orchard, a few pony games etc and pony art and craft activities depending on the type of party they wanted. Parties could also be themed.

I want to offer weekend parties and shorter parties for after school. I wasn't sure whether to offer food or not or let the clients arrange it.

I was thinking a max. of 6 children for 2 ponies with an experienced helper with each pony and myself as the main supervisor.

1. Would you and your child like a party like this?
2. How much would you be prepared to pay for it?

Any other advise is gladly welcomed.

Many thanks

Lisa

LePetitPrince Fri 02-Jan-15 22:59:12

Hi, I like this idea as I have horse mad kids. The only downside is that a real horse mad kid would want to ride which isn't an option. But I still think it would be a great success.

Where in the country are you? I suspect that will drive how much you can charge.

LePetitPrince Fri 02-Jan-15 23:01:11

Added - when we had a pony party, we organised our own food etc. But don't forget to include insurance in the price as I'm told this pushes up the cost of riding parties significantly.

Pradaqueen Fri 02-Jan-15 23:02:20

Hello I'm just about to book one for my DD (9) but have offered the gig to my NDN who has 8 horses smile if you google pony parties in Essex you should get the gist of the going rates here. dad will have around 12 girls coming. I would also add I've asked NDN to just to the pony rides bit not the grooming as many of her friends have never experienced riding and I think that's more fun. I would definitely not expect food but you could offer a pony themed packed lunch as an option? Things to consider: do the hosts have enough space for you to park the horse box? How big is the garden? If using a community hall, are there restrictions to animals and consideration to clearing mess etc. you'll also need some pretty heavy duty insurance. I'd also consider the radius you are prepared to travel to plus the overall cost vs a pony party at the local stables. Advantage of pony parties coming to you is the fact that family can be there plus more than 6/8 kids so u really think it's a great idea grin good luck with the venture, hope this helps grin

Pradaqueen Fri 02-Jan-15 23:04:42

Sorry should also add that the people offering parties here have a mix of ponies to ride and ponies to dress up not one or the other.

AuntieStella Fri 02-Jan-15 23:08:25

My DC have been to pony parties. But they were held at a riding stable and included grooming and gymkhana games (at walk, with plenty of helpers so even non-riders could have a go).

I think it might be a useful sideline for an existing equestrian business, but not a good idea for a freestanding one.

Micsampip1 Fri 02-Jan-15 23:19:39

Hi

Thanks all for your ideas. I was thinking of people coming to us rather than the other way round. I keep them as part of an animal education centre. We have all the facilities onsite. However, the cost of getting a riding licence in our area is ridiculous for a new start up so I was thinking of offering the service to younger children as a kind of cute petting/pampering/leading party with extras rather than riding. If the parties prove successful then in the future I could look at introducing riding.

Will also check out the parties in Essex.

Thanks again

Littlemisssunshine72 Fri 09-Jan-15 18:29:09

Am looking for this for my son but can't find any in east/west Sussex area. Anyone point me in right direction? So yes would be interested but riding would definitely have to be included.

jellymaker Fri 09-Jan-15 18:32:04

I have taken mine to a pony party but there would have been no point to it without riding. I think you would have some very disappointed children

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now