Talk

Advanced search

what to consider? sound vague?

(7 Posts)
Tultuli Thu 18-Dec-14 16:26:04

If anyone is willing to provide space in their shop to display my products to sell , what should I keep in mind? How should I proceed with my business with the shop owner as I wont be sitting in the shop but will visit only once in a week to check if anything has been sold..Any advise would help and give me some ideas :-)

Gfplux Sat 20-Dec-14 16:37:05

Just to start the long list of things.
Written contract.
Who pays if good are stolen.
Insurance.
What if goods get damaged or dirty.
When are sold goods paid for and how.
Good luck

Tultuli Sat 20-Dec-14 21:12:29

thanks for your inputs :-) much appreciated.

Rowingdowntheriver Sun 28-Dec-14 10:19:27

Also have a think about how you pay the shop owner. You could sell your stock to them up front or you could pay them commission for each piece sold or you could 'rent' a shelf from them.

Keeping track of your stock in the shop is also important so you know how much the shop has sold and when to re-stock the shop.

Have a think about VAT too. Chances are the shop will be VAT registered and that you are not. How you deal with this will partly depend on my first point above.

Tultuli Sun 28-Dec-14 13:08:12

Rowingdown:- Thanks so much for ur advise. Basically I am making a small start by testing the market with just a few items. So, the shop owner told me that they wont charge me anything initially and I could use some space.
When the demand rises then we can have a deal together.
So, what can I do from my end to know that people are interested in the product since
I wont be sitting in the shop. Should I rely on the shop owner?

Rowingdowntheriver Thu 01-Jan-15 09:30:29

If a customer is interested and wants to buy the product, will the shopkeeper sell it to them or just give them your name and contact details?

If the former then isn't the number of items sold enough to tell you what customer interest is? You would need a way to keep track of what has been sold - depending on volume the shopkeeper could tell you each time a sale has been made or, if that is impractical, you could design a form that they fill out weekly / monthly that lists your stock and they could note how many of each has sold. You would then know how many items to replace in the shop and also how much the shopkeeper owes you.

You probably also want to agree up front with the shopkeeper what, if any, discount you are happy with them giving a customer that asks for one.

Tultuli Sat 10-Jan-15 14:12:30

Yes, that's sounds good. The shopowner said not to stock too many items in the beginning. And we will see how it goes and start adding more accordingly.
But your inputs are very helpful...Thankyou so much :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now