Talk

Advanced search

Is there a way to get some funding for a youth theatre?

(4 Posts)
plotmissinginaction Thu 20-Nov-14 09:24:07

I would like to start one in my local area where there isn't much provision. However I don't want to go down the stage coach route where classes are very expensive and therefor exclude lots of people, at the same time I need to be able to pay myself.

Is there a way to do this so I could maybe apply for funding to make it cheaper? Or perhaps provide bursaries? Is there a place where I can get advice, I don't know where to start with the business side of things to be honest. I wondered about something like a social enterprise.

partymamma Mon 24-Nov-14 10:20:47

I would start by looking at the Arts Council for funding. You could also seek advice from Business Link (which I think is part of the Chamber of Commerce). Often funding is more forthcoming if you are doing something that benefits people with some kind of difficulty (financial / disability / access issues / etc). I'm sure that those places could then point you in the right direction.

And if you have links with drama schools / theatres / etc, perhaps you could find a way to work with them?

iseenodust Mon 24-Nov-14 10:32:09

Go to your local council and they will point you at their small business support/business regeneration or some such department.

Also Google for 'grant bid writing' in your area which should turn up free courses or a free organisation which can help.

You're right - read up on social enterprises. Setting up as one of these would let you apply for many many more funds and you can be paid a reasonable wage.

plotmissinginaction Mon 24-Nov-14 16:24:53

Thank you, I will make some calls smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now