Talk

Advanced search

Any professional artists who can give advice on selling their work?

(6 Posts)
Summergarden Thu 23-Oct-14 14:37:23

I have a few paintings that I have done as a hobby and display in my home. Friends and family all say they really like them and that I should sell them (hopefully they aren't just being polite!).

I think they would mostly appeal to local people as they are local landscapes. So I'm thinking of having the paintings available to buy as canvases or prints but have no idea how to go about getting this done- best companies who are able to convert the original paintings to canvases or prints etc. or where to advertise my work.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks in anticipation.

ohdobuckup Tue 28-Oct-14 10:18:47

Hi, there are lots of different ways to get your work out there. In your local area there are probably art societies that put on shows, or local craft show that offer space for minimal cost, so you can gauge the response (and competition) to your work.

Locally where I am there are a couple of art galleries/ framers that offer printing on canvas or photo printing of art work, but it isn't cheap. Staples offer a print on demand service but on limited quality paper but good canvases.

Look online for other art print offers, also look at the three main art magazines,on sale in supermarkets and WHSmiths, especially Artist and Illustrators magazine, for adverts for giclee printers who do short run printing.

Also talk to local photographers or their clubs about getting your work printed, they are full of useful advice and often have high quality printers themselves. I print my own work on Cannon Pixma printers which are worth getting if you are going to produce lots of images

Good luck!

ohdobuckup Tue 28-Oct-14 10:25:41

...And... look at selling sites such as Artfinder, Folksy, Etsy or even Ebay, some artists do quite well there still, but your best bet is local art and craft shows, and if you live in a popular tourist spot see if local shops would be interested in selling your work.
Wet Canvas is a good site for information too, it is U.S based but plenty of uk artists use the forums to chat
Have fun!

Flowerfae Tue 28-Oct-14 10:38:53

Hi smile I've just started out myself this year, so I'm sure there are more experienced artists around then me, but I have made a page for my art on facebook (I sold one of my pictures through my own facebook page which made me think of opening one), and I'll also be having a stall at a local festival next year. As other people have said places like Etsy are good places to sell smile also think about offering commissions

ArtyBat Tue 28-Oct-14 11:11:45

Try asking local cafes, libraries, and anywhere that the public uses if they will display your work, or at least posters advertising you.

Get a website made up with images of your work. you can then have some business cards made with images of your work on them. I've used both Moo.com and vistaprint for mine - both very good, but vista is cheaper if you can resist the hard sell techniques they employ.
Hand them out wherever you go, and you'll find that the image on the card draws people in and they go look at your website.

I find this works quite well.

Summergarden Fri 31-Oct-14 21:48:10

Only just remembered to check back here!

Thank you so much for the replies, you have suggested lots of great ideas and tips that I will look into, thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now