Talk

Advanced search

setting up a baby massage class

(9 Posts)
changingmymind Wed 15-Oct-14 14:44:06

I am thinking of training to be a baby massage instructor to run classes in my local area. Currently there are no such classes around me. I am just a bit scared of giving up my current job and taking the leap! Any advice -negative or positive would really be appreciated.

ClapHandsIfYouBelieveInFatties Thu 16-Oct-14 12:24:22

DO you have to give up your job just to train? Surely not. The only reservation I would have is the reason why there is no such class in the area currently. Is it because the demographic isn't right?

basildonbond Wed 22-Oct-14 11:22:09

You're not going to make very much money I suspect - you'll be lucky to break even in the first year.

Have a look at potential venues and see how much they charge for the hour, check that they're suitable for pushchair access, have good clean toilets and somewhere to make tea

Most parents like to pay on a drop-in basis but it's a lot easier for your cash flow if you can get them to pay for a set of classes in advance

You'll need to get in with your local midwives, children's centres, health visitors, independent antenatal teachers (although many of them will be offering similar services so won't want to advertise the competition).

Most of the people offering baby massage have something else to offer as well - they're antenatal teachers or breastfeeding counsellors or yoga teachers or physios - parents will be more likely to want to pay if they're getting expert advice as well

WaitingForMe Wed 22-Oct-14 20:07:04

I paid £40 for five sessions and there were five of us there

WaitingForMe Wed 22-Oct-14 20:08:43

Sorry, posted too soon!

So it's not a great money spinner. The woman that ran mine was a professional masseuse and was using it (in part) to find massage clients and clients for her massage courses.

She also had a range of her own oils etc so was pretty well organised.

HappySunflower Wed 22-Oct-14 20:10:33

If you are going to do it, then go for the Touch Learn training. It really is the best and it is recognised by many Sure Start centres. If you train to a highly accredited level you are more likely to be commissioned to run sessions for businesses as well as private clients.

Pico2 Wed 22-Oct-14 20:17:52

I think that people go for rather short courses (e.g. 5 or 6 sessions) so you have to be able to find a constant stream of new clients. How many classes a week would you need to run to earn a living?

SkylerShah Tue 28-Oct-14 14:42:23

A very inspirational friend of mine once told me, "Do what makes you happy." Of course there are provisos like, unless that results in killing others etc!

I've been to the far reaches of not having any money, and it is very uncomfortable. But, that is where change happens.

It's great that you have this idea. But is it your dream? Giving up a job can be a very scary thing at the best of times. But as with everything, it can also be liberating, and game-changing.

Do what you love and what makes you happy, and you will create money. Money doesn't have to be a driving force of yours, but at the same time, you do need to live.

Whatever happens, remember that it's your choice. You can change your entire life and make it what you want through the choices you make. You are that powerful.

broodylicious Tue 04-Nov-14 21:28:48

Is it a national company, by any chance? Three words in their name? It's something I'm looking to do as well in a few years as I believe there is a profit to be made and it'd be a good lifestyle business, fitting in with a few other business ideas I have. However, concerns I have are - can I close my franchise at any point, if numbers aren't what they should be? How much pressure is on me to sell their products as a side line? Is there an annual fee for the franchise? These may be questions you've asked yourself too but just in case... I don't think you need to give up a full time job, but maybe go part time until you have a good number of takers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now