Talk

Advanced search

Starting a business, while juggling children and the household. Can it be done?

(7 Posts)
OctaviaZest Mon 13-Oct-14 12:53:24

What should you think about while thinking of taking the leap to starting up a business?

Has anyone done it, what did you find difficult?

Any advise?

Thank you.

YulianaT Mon 13-Oct-14 21:05:18

Hi yes, it can be done. I started my business when my daughter was 5 months and I do not regret. It kept me intellectually active and gave me flexibility I need. I now set up a family-friendly business centre to help other mums to consider setting up their own business while juggling family. Here is our website: www.myoutspace.co.uk

I will be happy to chat and see how we can support you.
Regards,
Yuliana

ClaireZest Fri 17-Oct-14 13:11:32

I started my business 6 years ago after my eldest was born and for me it's been one of my best decisions! I work from home, around my sons.
Granted, it's a big step to take and you do need to think about it carefully.

There are thousands of mummies in the UK running their own business and there is lots of support and info online.
One of my favourite sites is: www.businessplusbaby.com/
There are tons of really great Facebook support groups too.

You may also have local support for start ups in your area.

Please do feel free to drop me a PM.
Good luck! :-)

Givenupontidying Thu 23-Oct-14 22:12:52

There are so many advantages if you can get the juggling act right (even some of the time), but there is no doubt at all that it is very much a case of keeping a lot of balls in the air, and deciding which balls you are willing to drop now and again.

I find that housework is usually the first thing to be dropped, which is fine for a little while, but when you realise that you are not inviting friends round for coffee etc because you are embarrassed by your house, its time to pick that ball up again.

I also think you have to have some set aside time that is just for your business. It's impossible to run a successful business with absolutely no dedicated/protected time.

My original plan was mostly to work in the evenings, but then one of my children was terrible at going to bed, so I lost half of each evening. Also, my customers more and more wanted to phone or have email replies during the day, and so I couldn't just work when I wanted to all of the time.

As I say though, after a bit of practise, I think I get it right more than wrong now, and its great!

MarketingManDavid Fri 24-Oct-14 14:43:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SkylerShah Tue 28-Oct-14 14:55:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

cwalcroft Fri 31-Oct-14 02:06:40

Working from home while you have young children is so DO-ABLE!
My girls are now adults but when they were young I had my own business and I feel so blessed that I was able to be there for all those precious moments and many, many school activities.
Yes, you do have to be disciplined and committed but if you are doing something you enjoy then it is not really work.
I run an online home business right now that is so ideal for parents wanting to stay at home so if you want to find out more then go to the site www.workfromhomebeincharge.com and send through your details and we can have a chat ... yes I am in Australia but distance is no object.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now