Advanced search

self employment risks

(6 Posts)
TheAvengers Thu 03-Apr-14 20:08:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

missmysexybody Thu 03-Apr-14 20:09:29

Depends on the policy and the worth of your house.

TheAvengers Thu 03-Apr-14 20:16:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TalkinPeace Sat 05-Apr-14 22:00:40

Depends what you are doing and what your professional body is

PortofinoRevisited Sat 05-Apr-14 22:05:25

You need professional advice vs MN advice re liability surely?

KateFranacademy Sun 06-Apr-14 14:46:47

If you're worried about liability, you could also consider operating as a limited company. In the UK, limited companies are treated as a separate "legal person" to their owners. This means that if I want to sue the business, I sue the company, not the individuals that own or run it. The owner's liability is limited to the amount unpaid on their shares (so if you own 10 shares of £1 each, your personal liability is limited to £10). There are exceptions to this rule, for example, if you enter into personal guarantees with the bank or a landlord, then you may still have personal liability in excess of your shares. You also need to take advice from an accountant and a lawyer as there may be tax advantages depending on whether you operate as a sole trader or through a limited company. Finally, the company still needs insurance, even though you limit your personal liability.
Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now