Advanced search

Legal things - starting cake business

(7 Posts)
Seminyak Sun 23-Feb-14 15:46:21

I know I know, everyone seems to have their own cake business. But I have worked as a cake baker/decorator for a while, and have been working on ideas for my business during that time while I was gaining experience, and now I am unemployed and want to start baking from home.

What things do I need to do, legally?:
- Environmental Health Check - to get kitchen certified as safe. Have contacted council but heard nothing back so I guess I'll ring them tomorrow.
- Registering with HMRC - do I just registered as self employed, or something else? Do I have to pay business taxes? I find the website so unhelpful.
- Food hygiene certificate - got.

Surely there must be more things than that??

And then I just need the courage to actually do it. I've got my URLs, email address, logo is happening etc. I don't know. I don't know what's stopping me. I have today applied for some part time jobs to bring some money in, but I just see these other companies and think I can do so much better blush

Don't know how to get customers either. Thinking of doing a thing on a community forum online - 5 cakes for £10 each while I'm setting up, so I can get some good pics for the website.

Went to a women's networking event and one of the speakers said "I'm so glad to be in a room of strong female businesswomen, and not just mums baking from home..." so now I feel a bit stupid and as if I'm not a proper businesswoman ha! Need a thicker skin for one.

wightjellybaby Sun 23-Feb-14 16:14:06

Go and do it!!
You just got to register as self employed unless your setting up a major enterprise as a limited company but I dont think you are.

Youll probably find doing your taxes easier if you contact your local tax office and do their self employed tax course if you've not done them before as you dont do any/pay tax for a couple of years its a bit odd and you can keep track of the correct info as you go so its easy when its time.
Make some tasty cake mum sells hers at farmers markets, xmas easter summer fates and fares and has some cafe who take hers maby some near you will too

Seminyak Mon 24-Feb-14 09:29:29

Ah thanks for the positivity jellybaby! smile

Anyone else got any advice?

wightjellybaby Mon 24-Feb-14 13:36:49

Just had a thought public liability insurance is a good one to have I dont think its a legal requirement but good to have just incase its to cover you for stuff like food poisoning, foreign bodies etc just incase

Seminyak Mon 24-Feb-14 14:06:09

Ah yes! Knew I was forgetting something!!! Thank you!!!

snowgirl1 Mon 24-Feb-14 14:13:11

There's a book on starting your own cake business link here

Seminyak Tue 25-Feb-14 12:01:20

Ooh fab link, thanks snowgirl

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: