Advanced search

Does anyone cook from home and sell to consumers?

(15 Posts)
WhatHo Tue 03-Sep-13 13:18:15

I'm wondering what I need to do to make my kitchen good enough for health and safety regulations. It's very small, and very ordinary. Do I need special equipment/a second fridge? I'm going to be making ready meals, so meat will be involved.

BNmum Tue 03-Sep-13 13:32:23

Size shouldn't matter, cleanliness is key. No pets in area when cooking, storing food appropriately (meats on bottom shelf, checks to ensure ingredients in date etc).

Have you checked out the food standards agency website
It's a good place to start and you can access some good resources. When you know a little more get in touch with your local council to register your business and speak to a environmental health officer. Good luck!

WhatHo Tue 03-Sep-13 13:42:09

Thanks BNmum, I'll check that link. No unruly pets (unless you count 18 mo grin) So things like colour-coded chopping boards (which I already have) and lots of rather than hairnets, stainless steel surfaces and white coats?

MrsWelly Tue 03-Sep-13 13:49:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 03-Sep-13 13:52:56

Insurance! Something people forget.

BNmum Tue 03-Sep-13 15:04:52

Colour coded chopping boards are a good idea esp if you already have them. You shouldn't need stainless steel work surfaces just make sure work surfaces are intact and can be cleaned down appropriately at beginning and end of each batch.

If you have a white coat already then use it if you don't just make sure you wear appropriate clothes (not mohair jumper etc) and an apron should suffice. Tie hair back, don't wear jewellery and keep finger nails short and clean. Sufficient hand cleaning facilities are a necessity. A second fridge will depend on how big your fridge already is and how much ingredient/finished product you will be storing. Will you be selling chilled or frozen meals?

WhatHo Thu 05-Sep-13 13:28:25

So basically it's common sense?

onesleep NEVER thought about insurance. Crikey, what do I need?

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 05-Sep-13 15:37:31

If you're making and selling food then I would guess you'd need business insurance and public liability insurance. And to register with HMRC (sorry, I know you only asked about the kitchen).

PrincessKitKat Thu 05-Sep-13 15:46:46

Contact your EHO. They should be more than happy to discuss what you need before you start production!

You're also very likely to need diligence records to document your safe food processes which they can help you with.

Good luck with your venture!

WhatHo Fri 06-Sep-13 10:39:45


PrincessKitKat Fri 06-Sep-13 11:26:40

Sorry, Environmental Health Officer.

PrincessKitKat Fri 06-Sep-13 11:31:00

You're going to have to register with the Environmental Health department at your local council to run a food business, so better to get them involved from the start & take advantage of their free advice.

There's lots of 'consultants' who will happily charge to advise you/ set up documentation, but very often you can get the same help for free from Environmental Health.

WhatHo Fri 06-Sep-13 12:21:42

princess fabulous, thank you. I'm at very early stages - currently writing business plan (aagh), and I know nothing at all yet!

Iheartcrunchiebars Fri 06-Sep-13 21:25:36

Probe thermometer as you'll have to record your fridge & freezer temps twice a day.

You'll need to do your level 2 food hygiene. I did a course but to be honest I think you can do an online one which is probably a lot quicker, cheaper and more interesting. It was 8 long hours (which could have been squeezed into 1).

Also a sink for hand washing that's separate to kitchen sink (but has to be easy access to kitchen (we just use our bathroom)

WhatHo Mon 30-Sep-13 15:11:05

Great tip thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now