Talk

Advanced search

The N word...

(6 Posts)
Mamabeartofive Thu 21-Mar-19 10:42:48

My 9yo dd was called the n word at school yesterday by a boy in her class. She is mixed race b/w, It was used after an argument. I’ve informed the head who is dealing with the situation today but upon taking her into school today she became really upset and told me the boys group of friends were trying to intimidate her into keeping quiet, I immediately took her to the office and informed them of the situation. I was ushered into the heads office, I met with another senior member of staff as the head was unavailable. She tried to minimise the situation, I informed her as the only 2 black/mixed children in the whole school this was the second incident when one of them had been racially abused, the first instance was also recorded. I am fuming that in this day and age that word would still be used and that the school have tried to make light of it,”children often use words they don’t understand” blah... the kid knew to corner her after and say if you tell I’ll say you called a white name first. Clearly knew what he had done wrong... any advise??
I’m currently on the edge of my seat waiting for an update from the school

Andrea1234567 Sat 23-Mar-19 14:05:54

I'd defo try and get the school to do a type of age appropriate class that teaches children words like kike, n word ect. Are wrong and to not use the vocab, I'd also take it to the governors if this SLT Teacher just wants to be on a damage control side

Mamabeartofive Sat 23-Mar-19 20:23:05

Thanks @andrea1234567
They said they will bring this up at a later date and try and educate the whole school on discrimination. I’ve requested copies of the reports to LA as I don’t think they would want to report it again tbh, it’s a tiny rural village, 2000 residents and only 150 children in the school. Only (my) 2 of non Caucasian ethnicity currently sad

Andrea1234567 Sat 23-Mar-19 20:31:13

Hope it's resolved for you OP, hope DD isn't phasedthanks

Mamabeartofive Sat 23-Mar-19 20:58:28

Unfortunately she's in a right sorry state, poor thing has started asking if she can use my "white" foundation to make herself more like me sadit's really affecting her I hope I can just give her all the encouragement she needs to love herself enough not to care what anyone else says

Rainbowknickers Sat 06-Apr-19 00:19:57

I know this isn’t much help but my son (now19) is mixed race and was bullied at school (thankfully not that word but still) I told him he was lucky-he had a tan all year round and not only was I jealous but so where they cos he has amazing skin that would cost me a fortune to get and the lucky sod gets it for free I really hope you get this sorted-sending hugs your way xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »