Talk

Advanced search

Instagram / Snapchat incidents: what's your school's stance?

(5 Posts)
JoyceDivision Thu 07-Mar-19 19:54:37

I'm a bit puzzled by this: my friend has a Ds who is a pleasant boy, has some friends but not in with what would be the "cool" crowd. Age 9 in primary.

His mum has let him have Snapchat, and there has been some issues regarding messages from another boy. I'm not sure exactly what they are, whether friend's son has tried to friend them or message them and been rejected or if the boy has sought him out to leave messages.

Anyway, friend has contacted school about the issue and teacher has told her school don't intervene or deal with Snapchat issues as it's out of school.

The only relationship the two boys have is in school. Is this a typical / correct stance from school or is it school washing their hands if what they should legally / morally / any educational guidelines get involved? Are they correct to step away because the children are too young to have Snapchat and it's social media which school doesn't support or police?

I'm unsure if teacher was fair or school iare right: looking on here there seems to be many incidents, probably more in high school, where school and even police have got involved.

What is the norm?

(And I definately don't agree with him having Snapchat!)

0MrsP Thu 07-Mar-19 21:38:23

I work in a school and our response would probably be the same.
They aren't old enough for social media, so don't allow them on it, if you do, then as a parent you need to police it.
Teachers have enough responsibilities without managing problems outside of school which could easily be avoided if parents followed guidelines. 9 is far too young to be using Snapchat.

Singlemumscum Thu 07-Mar-19 21:58:24

School is very involved. DD was upset by a girl coercing other pupils by threatening suicide. I insisted she block the girl. The school considers blocking to be bullying, even when a parent has instigated the blocking. My DD wants to be friends with the girl but she is messaging threats throughout the night. I know this because I keep DD phone in my room. I will have to remove DD phone because blocking a classmate is not acceptable.

Comefromaway Thu 07-Mar-19 22:03:19

That’s appalling singlemum. The police actually advised us to block a classmate on Instagram.

JoyceDivision Thu 07-Mar-19 22:53:39

Thanks for replies, interesting that schools (and police!) advice differ wildly.

I guess issue is friend's worried what is taking place on Snapchat will be carried on at school as only place they have anything to do with each other, but the current incident / issues are out of school.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: