Talk

Advanced search

Quick question: can I get the notes of my DSs session with school counsellor??

(13 Posts)
AckYourHole Fri 19-Oct-18 20:24:57

Hoping someone can help as my head is melted. My DS (13) was bullied. School offered counsellor. Said she "won't disclose details of dialogue unless she feels there is a safeguarding concern".

So does that mean I wont get access to the notes if I request it?

DieAntword Fri 19-Oct-18 20:26:50

I’d be pretty shocked if you can get those notes, surely a counsellor is a safe space for a child to talk without worrying their parents will find out what they said!

ArnoldBee Fri 19-Oct-18 20:27:28

Doubtful and would you really want to break that trust? My son went for counselling and yes I did know want to know what went on but it was for him not me.

cheesefield Fri 19-Oct-18 20:35:45

No, it would be considered a breach of your DS confidentiality.

AckYourHole Fri 19-Oct-18 20:43:18

I know, you're right No I def don't want to break his trust. I'm just gutted he's having such a shit time. I just don't have confidence in the school anymore.

LuluBellaBlue Fri 19-Oct-18 20:44:41

But what would you reading the notes prove? I don’t understand why you’d want to?

MeanQueenHalloween Fri 19-Oct-18 20:45:33

In what way would having the notes help?

AckYourHole Fri 19-Oct-18 20:48:20

I'm just worried about him. He clams up when I try to talk to him about it and says he's ok. When I can see he's not ok.

MeanQueenHalloween Fri 19-Oct-18 20:58:24

What the counsellor told you is correct.

What else have you done re the bullying?

All schools should have their anti-bullying policy on the website. Get it, read it, make sure the school have done everything by the book.

Craftycorvid Fri 19-Oct-18 21:03:22

The counsellor should be working to support your son and offer him a safe place to explore anything he needs to. Sometimes it’s easier talking to someone who isn’t family or a friend as there’s not that close connection. It’s good he’s getting support. Bullying can be an awful experience to go through. You sound like a lovely mum, OP. As others have posted, the counsellor won’t share their notes and they’d be unlikely to be useful to you in any case. I’m sorry that school isn’t helping in practical ways. No excuse now they have anti-bullying policies and ought to be using them. flowers

AckYourHole Fri 19-Oct-18 21:22:34

The school offered counselling, which I really do appreciate. We asked for change of form class and to be fair they did that too. But other things we've requested just haven't been put in place. It's as if they're just hoping it will all just blow over.

AckYourHole Fri 19-Oct-18 21:23:59

@Craftycorvid thank you

MeanQueenHalloween Fri 19-Oct-18 21:29:51

Keep pursuing them through the anti-bullying policy. They should also have a complaints policy - start looking through that too.
Counselling for bullying... I'm a big fan of counselling in general, but it's more important that the bullying stops, tbh. That should be the school's first priority.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »