Talk

Advanced search

AIBU?

(6 Posts)
Girlwhobakes Thu 08-Feb-18 09:56:33

On my way home from school withmy son (6yo) yesterday a little girl from his class started teasing and laughing at him, he got a bit angry and shouted at her to stop -she stopped and her mum told her to stop too...I didn’t hear what she said so I asked and my lo said “Mrs , _made it up but now they think it’s my real name”...I asked him what he meant and he said that if he does something bad that his teacher calls him “Archibald” in front of the class (his given name is Archie, not Archibald). I really like his teacher this year and I thought he was getting on well in her class but this has really p*d me off? AIBU? I quickly wrote the following to her_ this morning but I was in a rush so don’t know if I worded it well enough? O_pinions please!

Mrs _,
On our way home from school yesterday Archie was teased by another student, he became flustered and when I asked him what was wrong he said “Mrs whittingham made it up but now they think it’s my real name.” He then went on to tell me that when he hasn’t behaved very well that you like to call him “Archibald” in front of his peers. I would like you to stop doing this please as Archibald has NEVER been his name and calling him this is impacting on him in a negative way. Try calling him by his full name, Archie J*_^ (not Jenkins as was written on his reading record). He only has one name and it is his own. I would appreciate it if you called him by it.
Regards, Mrs Jennings

QuiteLikely5 Thu 08-Feb-18 09:58:39

You certainly made your point!

Girlwhobakes Thu 08-Feb-18 10:04:22

Was I too harsh?

LinoleumBlownapart Thu 08-Feb-18 10:09:05

I wouldn't worry about being harsh in this case, humiliation is a horrible way to "get" children to behave. She is modelling bullying in her classroom. Have you sent it? If not I would take out the reading record bit if not, oh well.

Girlwhobakes Thu 08-Feb-18 10:42:12

Thanks for the input x

CindyCrawford2 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:02:26

Sorry to hear this has happened to you and your son. This teacher is very wrong to single your son out like this - to her it may seem a bit of a joke or even done in an affectionate way but she needs to be told it is upsetting your son. Little ones are so sensitive and the last thing you want is it putting him off going to school (believe me, I know what that is like) if she needs to get him to pay attention, then she should have enough training to do it in a professional way(I come from a family of teachers and I know none of them would humiliate a child like this). My son had a stutter and when taking the register the teacher would openly take the mickey out of him, therefore giving the other kids the "green light" to do so. I immediately contacted her and put a stop to this - she said it was only done as a "bit of fun" - not fun for me and Dh when he was crying every morning - after pointing this out to her the "teasing" soon stopped. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: