Talk

Advanced search

Have you encountered 'taunting' on MN?

(15 Posts)
Bella8 Thu 30-Nov-17 19:17:48

Have you experienced this? I have heard that there are groups or 'cliques' that go around posting unwanted/unpleasant advice and looking for fights. Do you really have to have a thick skin on MN; is this the case?

ShirleyPhallus Thu 30-Nov-17 19:19:26

There are definitely posters who post fishing for information without giving anything back about themselves

Hmmmmmm

AmysTiara Thu 30-Nov-17 19:20:48

Why do you want to know?
Who told you this?

Bella8 Thu 30-Nov-17 19:26:06

mums at baby group were talking about it and I mentioned being on MN and got a negative response. I said I'm on MN and never had a problem and they didn't seem to view it positively.

Wolfiefan Thu 30-Nov-17 19:27:18

Depends where you post and about what!
AIBU is best avoided without a thick skin.

Breeze241 Thu 30-Nov-17 19:27:38

Yes, clear as day and easy to spot. Pathetic those that engage in it; personal opinion.

TrojansAreSmegheads Thu 30-Nov-17 19:29:08

yes i have had some snippy comments (probably made a few too. we are all only human). i dont care. the beauty of the internet is that you are completely in control. you engage or click away, log off, move on, whatever you want. nobody who makes comments on an anonymous internet forum has any power over you.

haba Thu 30-Nov-17 19:32:20

Some people will taunt anybody.

haba Thu 30-Nov-17 19:35:39

I also think you're being disingenuous when you you say you've never experienced it...

Bella8 Thu 30-Nov-17 19:37:29

I see the debates and been involved in debates and things like that but not seen anything cross a line yet

Bella8 Thu 30-Nov-17 19:38:50

Although I've not been a member long...

crazycatgal Thu 30-Nov-17 19:40:35

There are plenty of people who get a kick out of commenting on posts being pedantic and annoying and not contributing to the actual post. They obviously lead sad lives.

SueSueDonahue Thu 30-Nov-17 19:52:24

Of course there are! And trolls. And goady folk. And some people who make up either part or ALL of their entire life, down to completely imaginary PHDs, children, agas and houses.

But there are also lovely posters, kind posters, people who'd go out of their way to help with truly niche and helpful advice.

And there's a TON of good advice in amongst the utterly pathetically bad.

So I stay! And even though I change usernames a lot for privacy reasons, I hope I've contributed some good to other MNers in return for all the good I have had back over the years.

DixieNormas Thu 30-Nov-17 19:54:33

I don't know about cliques but there are certainly some posters who only seem to post to put the boot in

Bella8 Thu 30-Nov-17 20:03:42

SueSueDonahue Aww that was nice; if I ever see a thread of yours I'll be sure to comment and pay it forward

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now