Talk

Advanced search

At what point do you involve the police?

(18 Posts)
AuntieDiluvial Fri 10-Nov-17 18:27:26

A 2dry school pupil attacked a 1ry school pupil, both in uniform but away from school premises. Threatened with a potentially very dangerous 'weapon'. No injuries resulted (by luck!) but the victim was frightened and there were threats of retribution if the victim 'told'. Both schools know and are addressing it.

But if it happens again?

WhoWants2Know Fri 10-Nov-17 18:29:15

Certainly if it happened again I would speak to the police

Notreallyarsed Fri 10-Nov-17 18:31:21

Now is when I’d involve the police.

AnaWinter Fri 10-Nov-17 18:32:19

As above now.

purplecorkheart Fri 10-Nov-17 18:44:41

Now without a doubt!

dertyyuoih2 Fri 10-Nov-17 18:46:23

Now tell the police!

HerOtherHalf Fri 10-Nov-17 18:46:33

Threatening violence with a weapon is a police matter, end of story.

ihatethecold Fri 10-Nov-17 18:55:40

Today.
Without a doubt.

AuntieDiluvial Fri 10-Nov-17 19:11:55

I know the family. Life is not easy for them. I don't want to make life even harder for them. As I said, the schools are involved, and I really rate highly the 2ry's pastoral care. I'd like to give them a chance to work with this child.

But of course I also worry about endangering my own child.

Notreallyarsed Fri 10-Nov-17 19:52:54

Your empathy for the other family is admirable OP, I mean that genuinely. However your priority is your child, and only you know what the situation is. I have to say I involved the police when my son was battered with sticks earlier this year and they did the square root of fuck all, but at least it’s meant the bullies have backed off a bit.

purplecorkheart Sat 11-Nov-17 19:35:16

How easy will it be of that child seriously injuries another person or worse? Sometimes you need to do something hard to prevent something worse!

Ttbb Sat 11-Nov-17 19:37:21

When the law is broken. So now.

GreenTulips Mon 13-Nov-17 22:26:52

Life is not easy for them

Do you realize the wealth of help available to families referred to social services youth justice etc receive???

Or you could let them continue to flounder until their child is locked up for murder .... your sympathy is misplaced

AuntieDiluvial Tue 14-Nov-17 07:44:49

I'm not sure why you're putting that responsibility on me,*GreenTulips*. My understanding from MN, from RL, from the news, is that in theory there's lots of support, but that the reality is very different. Besides, the family are almost certainly already in the system.

Chocolatecake12 Tue 14-Nov-17 07:48:45

So both school are addressing it? Let’s hope they deal with it and that’s the end of the bullying.
Any further attempt of bullying and I’d involve the police.

Zippyzulu Tue 14-Nov-17 07:53:26

My 12yo dd was recently subjected to bullying, thankfully not physical but I reported it to the police when the group involved made threats online and she took a screenshot.
The police were brilliant and liaised with the head before talking to the ringleaders and their parents. Unfortunately this fuelled the fire and they became more antagonistic towards my dd, nothing obvious but whispering, spreading rumours and laughing at her.
In the end dd contacted them and asked if they could clear the air and move on and bizarrely they agreed: they now completely ignore her but have moved on to another victim. For them police involvement had little effect.
I hope everything works out for you flowers

flumpybear Tue 14-Nov-17 07:54:33

Weapon?! I’d phone the police! Perhaps tell them you’re worried as they have problems and you’d prefer them to be handled with care as far as you’re concerned but a weapon and threatening harm is a police matter - what if next time your child is seriously injured or worse

Ohyesiam Tue 14-Nov-17 09:52:04

Not is the time to involve the police.
The most compassionate thing you can do for the bullying child is to give then consequences and shutting down their behaviour. The police take this stuff seriously, and experience tells me that they are often effective in this situation.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: