Talk

Advanced search

Why aren't schools allowed to share details of punishments given to bullies?

(9 Posts)
Shouldistayorshouldigo99 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:27:21

Well, according to our school anyway!

We have been complaining for 2 years regarding various incidents and are always told " the pupils concerned have been spoken to and punished but unfortunately we cannot share with you the nature of the punishment". We suspect detention as that is what the anti-bullying policy says but it's no deterrent as the bullying still goes on. Personally, would like to see some of the little sh*ts in the stocks outside school angry We're not even convinced their parents are being told.

We have now had enough and police are being informed but, realistically, what will they do??

scurryfunge Wed 04-Oct-17 08:32:13

Is the offender over 10? If there is a schools officer there will be a policy of encouraging the school to deal with it first. This has to be with the agreement of both you and the school. Assuming you have lost faith in the school, the police would look at any offences. What has the bully been doing?

noblegiraffe Wed 04-Oct-17 08:39:17

Schools can't give you info about another child. It's not your child and they're not allowed to share details, frustrating though I imagine that is.

I hope the police are more successful at sorting the bullying.

SuburbanRhonda Wed 04-Oct-17 08:40:41

Why do you need to know, OP?

Shouldistayorshouldigo99 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:42:19

It's high school. Racial, physical, psychological, cyber and now sexual - another boy tried to snog son's friend as a joke! I posted about this a few weeks back. Son & friend have been bullied & isolated for 2 years. It's mainly directed at friend, son is bullied by association. We eventally complained to Headteacher and they moved class but bullies still get them between lessons!

SuburbanRhonda Wed 04-Oct-17 08:43:54

But why do you need to know? What difference would it make?

Shouldistayorshouldigo99 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:00:42

I'm concerned they are not being sufficiently punished and school aren't taking it seriously enough as they keep reoffending. Detention is no deterrent - they give them out willy nilly in that school. We don't even get assurances that school are putting anything in place to ensure it can't happen again. Some of the things these kids have done are bloody serious!

SuburbanRhonda Wed 04-Oct-17 09:06:10

The bullying sounds awful but you can't expect the school to change their rules about confidentiality for you.

If you've lost faith with the school, move your child. I'm not being dismissive, I would have done it a long time ago in your position.

GreenTulips Sun 08-Oct-17 21:32:03

Please go back to looking at other schools

Am I right in thinking the friend should parents speak little English and fine the process difficult?

They need to move schools to be safe

Make a stand - move

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now