Talk

Advanced search

School uniform

(9 Posts)
Mumsmith Thu 20-Apr-17 10:39:57

Hi I'm new here, however I would like to hear other people thoughts. I've had quite a heated discussion with my 12 year old daughter, over her school skirt as I feel it is too short (3-4 inches below her blazer) and gives the wrong impression. I went to a local supermarket to get her a new skirt, however they are all the same length. ( 10-11, 11-12 & 12-13) which is the same length as the skirt she is wearing. So it would appear that the supermarket do not think that children get any taller.( my daughter is average hight for her age) My daughter like most children wants to fit in and has told me that if she wears trousers she would be called a lesbian, however I feel that the length of the girls skirts are sexualising young girls and I personally do not think it is appropriate. However I do not know how to resolve this issue. Thankyou in advance

dementedpixie Thu 20-Apr-17 14:57:15

My dd likes the skater style school skirts and they seem to be a bit longer. She doesn't like the short pencil skirts that most of the girls wear

dementedpixie Thu 20-Apr-17 14:59:31

skater skirt

Astro55 Thu 20-Apr-17 18:15:39

Shes 14 but out!!

DD and her friends skirts are particularly visible with jackets on -

It's what they wear

Astro55 Thu 20-Apr-17 18:16:25

12 even!!

Crumbs1 Thu 20-Apr-17 18:30:56

Does she not wear thick tights with it?

Mumsmith Fri 21-Apr-17 20:04:07

Thank you, her school uniform is a pleated skirt, she has been wearing thick tights, but with summer coming she wants to wear socks, she also wears black cycle shorts underneath. However I just feel the skirt gives the wrong impression of her as it is to short. My older son (14) told a boy he was "out of order" for videoing a girl in front of him walking up the stairs under her skirt and my son was then punched by this boy. I don't want my daughter to get the wrong kind of reputation or give the wrong messages.

Astro55 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:05:40

I think the 1950's are over?

dementedpixie Fri 21-Apr-17 20:45:39

I think you may be overreacting and doing a bit of victim blaming too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now