Talk

Advanced search

Inappropriate behaviour by teacher - am I over reacting?

(6 Posts)
Faybian Sat 11-Mar-17 13:21:13

Hi All, please can you give me you opinion on this, it's a bit long as it takes a bit of background explaining but bear with me. My son has been having a few problems with his friends which got a bit out of hand last Friday. My son never gets in to trouble, does very well in school and is very mature mentally but very immature physically. He is small and looks about 10 although he's nearly 13 due to having a 'baby face'. Lately some of the boys in his group have started picking on him including throwing his stuff in bins and calling him names. Last Friday he went to Geography club in the lunch break and some boys, supposedly his friends, teased him, tripped him so he fell and then poked him painfully in the back while he was on the floor. The teacher, a young man, instead of helping told my son off for disrupting the club, despite the fact that he knows my son is always well behaved, he has told me so (the teacher). When my son left the club two of the boys followed him and one pulled his rucksack off so he fell again and then the other picked it up and hung it on a fence so he had to go and get it. Just after he had put it back on his geography TEACHER appeared behind him and grabbing the handle at the top of his rucksack he pulled it over his head (a heavy full rucksack!), he then laughed and walked on. My son was so upset that he spent the whole lunchbreak crying, a couple of his friends saw him and did apologise, but he doesn't want to go in to Geography on Monday morning and I can understand why! What did the teacher think he was doing? How are children supposed to learn how to behave if a teacher sets an example like this? Above all - what should I do??

hesterton Sat 11-Mar-17 13:23:52

Make an appointment to speak to that teacher and find put what he did and why. Then decide what to do next. It does sound horrible.

If the teacher doesn't respond, then your next port of call would be year head.

VintagePerfumista Sat 11-Mar-17 13:30:21

Go and listen to the teacher's side of the story.

Which I imagine will probably be very different from your son's.

Or the teacher has gone suddenly off his head.

What reason does your son give for the fact that during a supervised lunchtime event, what was effectively a violent scuffle broke out? Did all the boys involved get told off or just your son? How does the geography club work?

RebelRogue Sat 11-Mar-17 13:38:25

If it happened just as your son said,no you are not overreacting at all!
First step is to set up a meeting with the teacher to find out exactly what happened and why. Depending on his answers and attitude,you can then go to Head of year and complain.

Faybian Sat 11-Mar-17 16:00:07

Thank you for all your replies, I do think it probably happened more or less as my son said because something like this happened in geography before, only not so bad, but similarly my son got told off for disrupting because another boy was picking on him (constantly taking his ruler) and when I talked to the teacher he said that he knew that my son wasn't at fault but that he 'didn't want to cause an argument between him and his friend'. On that occaison the other boy got told off too and maybe they all got told off this time but what i'm concerned about is the geography teacher pulling his rucksack over his head and laughing. I think he must have thought he was being funny but it seems very inappropriate to me and sets a terrible example. I just wondered if anyone had had a similar experience?

BIGMOMMASHANANAI Wed 29-Mar-17 20:38:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now