Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My child got excluded from school for 3 days for defending himself

(12 Posts)
cookie09 Mon 23-Jan-17 15:06:49

I just don't know what to say. My DS aged 13 with learning difficulties has just been suspended from school. He struggles to fit in anyway as he's different, he's a twin by the way. Basically another child with learning difficulties was annoying my son, he said to someone 'that boys an attention seeker he does my head in'. Another kid then come along and started shoving my boy saying he's got problems etc etc and my son has retaliated and shoved the kid back. It all ended up in a tussle as my DS is at breaking point with people saying things to him. A few grazes and distraught I have just collected him from school. He is under CAMHS already to help him out and this is a massive setback. Am I being unreasonable thinking it's a harsh punishment considering he is not a bully. angryangryangry

BiBi8 Mon 23-Jan-17 15:10:07

Has the other boy been excluded too? I'm sorry this has happened to him. flowers

MrsJayy Mon 23-Jan-17 15:10:52

Sounds difficult i get he was being picked on but if he was caught fighting or laying into another kid then school policy would maybe be suspension Ithink you should speak to head teacher about this your son might need more support at school.

MTB1003 Mon 23-Jan-17 15:11:38

I'm so sorry, why has this been the first resort to exclude him? Has the other child been excluded as well?

cookie09 Mon 23-Jan-17 16:06:30

Other kid got suspended too for 5 days. My boy was defending himself as he's reached that point where he's just snapped now. I think 3 days is harsh hearing in mind school learning is a struggle anyway. He will just be put back even further now!

MrsJayy Mon 23-Jan-17 16:15:16

Your boy was fighting yes I know that sounds harsh but he was caught fighting I am sorry he is struggiling at school but you need to speak to school

MrsJayy Mon 23-Jan-17 16:16:38

About this* it is bloody hard when your child has Sen i understand your frustration

cookie09 Mon 23-Jan-17 16:37:17

Drives me nuts, I've told the school I think they've let him down. Only today they said they are going to implement a nurture club for SEN kids. Too little too late.

MrsJayy Mon 23-Jan-17 16:51:54

Urgh that is such a shame yes school probably let him down i do think boys with Sen can be let down in schools my dd was very supported in school but i think some of the boys were seen as badly behaved or aggresive You must be heartbroken about today cookie

cookie09 Mon 23-Jan-17 22:50:21

I'm gutted. The distress I've had to see my son go through today is horrid. But tomorrow's another day, he's wrote down what happened and I'm going so speak to the head tomorrow. Let's see where we go from here...

Merlin40 Tue 24-Jan-17 21:58:22

Did the school not investigate/ask him to write a statement after it happened?

Does your son have previous? 3 days is quite a long time if this is the first incident.

Astro55 Sun 29-Jan-17 23:21:35

It's difficult - because your son could've walked away - he could've reported the first shove - but he didn't he reacted.

If the school has rules for suspension then they have followed those, and yes it seems unfair - but looking at the wider picture - if one gets away with fighting what message does it send out to the rest of the school?

I would take it up with the head of year and ask what help they are going to implement to help your son overcome any future issues

Move forward -

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now