Talk

Advanced search

Cyber bullying

(6 Posts)
Bunbaker Sat 12-Sep-15 00:43:30

"We are unable to tackle issues that may occur between students as a result of the use of social media."

This is on a newsletter from DD's school. I am extremely disappointed that they take this stance. Does this mean that the would be bullies think they can get away with it?

pilates Sat 12-Sep-15 08:16:48

Yes agree, its not sending out the right signals.

My childrens school have a zero tolerance with cyber bullying.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 15-Sep-15 14:17:03

DC are in KS2 and KS3 both school take it seriously, and have regular assemblies/workshops. I didnt think they could op out?

Bunbaker Wed 16-Sep-15 20:24:22

I have been trying to find out what ofsted's guidelines are and it is a bit vague.

All I could find was that ofsted inspectors are asked to consider the effectiveness of the school's actions to prevent and tackle all forms of bullying, including cyber bullying.

The school is rated good and is chasing outstanding. They won't get this unless they change their views on cyber bullying.

lisabarry82 Mon 12-Oct-15 19:17:26

That is simply unrealistic. They will be dealing with it they have no option. I worked at a school and the result of social media was impossible to ignore as the kids came in with the drama and baggage and upset cased on it. All thsi attitude is going to do is cause more as the wrong message has been sent to the kids. I wonder if they will be doing any extra of the workshops and lessons as part of their PHSE to deal with it in someway? In our area the play and youth workers are all trained to deliver internet safety course. Maybe you could enquire and they could assist the kids in your child's school?
In the mean time, try this... its a free guide for parents www.jackcherry.info/

ScandinavianInUK Sun 13-Dec-15 14:08:48

This annoys me. They cannot opt out. Bullying is an offence whether it happens face2face or online.

In my area, they have very good external speakers who give good assemblies to the kids about the consequences of cyber bullying, and the teachers have found it useful too. Will find out the people who run it and share it with you...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now