Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing breastpumps. If you want to buy or sell breastpumps, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Breast pump, Tommee Tippee or Medela? Help I'm stuck

(11 Posts)
JustineZksg Wed 17-May-17 18:40:27

I don't really know the first thing about pumps and am not sure what I need. Should I go for electric or manual and then a single one or double? Also I have mainly been looking at the tommee tippee and the Medela just don't know if one is better than the other or if it just depends on the person using it. Thank you.

villainousbroodmare Wed 17-May-17 18:44:16

I had an electric double Lansinoh which was fragile and generally rubbish, and then an electric single Avent which was much sturdier and better. I think electric for sure. Double only essential if you are pumping a lot/ exclusively... maybe you don't yet know how things will work out? Others will be along with reviews of the Tommee Tippee and Medela, I'm sure.

Endlesslllove Wed 17-May-17 18:46:11

It depends a bit on how much you're planning to use it, although you may not know this to begin with!
I'd say a double electric pump would be for heavy use, say if you're planning to return to work early and plan to pump exclusively for a while. A single manual pump would be fine for occasional use like the odd night out. Hope that helps!

IAmTheWorwax Wed 17-May-17 18:48:49

If you have no big plans to use it then I would start with a manual one, tommee yippie worked fine for me.

If it turns out you need to express a lot then you'd be better off with an electric one

RoaryMouth Wed 17-May-17 18:50:23

I had to mix feed my son and used the medela swing more than once daily for about a year. It was sturdy and stood up to the job well.

JustineZksg Wed 17-May-17 19:36:05

I'm not sure how it is going to work out but hoping to express so that my partner can bond with the baby and help me out, just thought if I had the best one that doesn't cost horrendous amounts then it would make the expressing easier.

altkat Wed 17-May-17 19:46:54

I have the medela swing and it's worked really well for me. I use it in the same way that you are planning to but it would stand up to more. Bought it from Gumtree - messaged the seller and begged them to post it and I'd pay cost! It was only £50 in the end and you can sterilise or replace the important bits really easily.

newmumwithquestions Wed 17-May-17 20:01:58

I used the medela swing. I liked it (though never tried any others so it's hard to compare).

cookiefiend Wed 17-May-17 20:48:24

I had a Mendala swing and a manual avent. If you aren't pumping often a manual can be easier to get more milk from I found (once I had used the manual a few times I found I was able to get better results from the electric.)

The avent is easy to use and cheaper, but the electric is kinder to your hand if you are using it regularly.

koalab Wed 17-May-17 20:56:00

I bought the medal swing in a post birth haze from my hospital bed when my DD wouldn't latch on. I still haven't admitted to my DP how much it cost, but I have to say it hasn't let me down. DD did latch after a week but I still use it regularly to keep a supply in the fridge/freezer.

JustineZksg Thu 18-May-17 09:28:45

Just looking at prices online I have seen a lot of 2nd hand Medela pumps which is good but they are mainly singles, would it be good to spend a it more and get the double pump? Would that mean I would get more milk? Or just a single one and swap breast?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now